- Title: Spain's Cordoba swelters in heat wave, set to break records
- Date: 14th August 2021
- Summary: CORDOBA, SPAIN (AUGUST 14, 2021) (REUTERS) EMPTY STREET PEOPLE HOLDING UMBRELLA WALKING WOMAN COOLING OFF WITH FAN VARIOUS OF PEOPLE CROSSING BRIDGE WHILE HOLDING UMBRELLAS TOURISTS WEARING FACE MASKS AND COOLING OFF WITH FANS THERMOMETER MARKING 46 CELSIUS DEGREES WOMAN COVERING HEAD WITH FAN PEOPLE COOLING OFF WITH FANS WOMAN COVERING WITH UMBRELLA FEET WALKING WOMAN USING FAN VARIOUS OF CORDOBA RESIDENT COOLING OFF AT FOUNTAIN (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CORDOBA RESIDENT AND RETIREE, IVAN HISTROV SAYING: "Just in case, so that nothing happens to me, I was already feeling like I was roasting, so I came to the fountains, it's great , that's why I came, because of the heat." THERMOMETER MARKING 47 CELSIUS DEGREES VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING UNDER THE SUN MAN TAKING WOMAN INTO FOUNTAIN VARIOUS OF PEOPLE REFRESHING AT FOUNTAIN WOMAN DRINKING AT FOUNTAIN PEOPLE DRINKING WATER FROM BOTTLE FAMILY PLAYING AT FOUNTAINS WOMAN DRINKING WATER BARCELONA, SPAIN (AUGUST 13, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ECUADORIAN TATIANA, 33, AND VENEZUELAN RICHARD MENDEZ, 36, CELEBRATING TATIANA'S BIRTHDAY AT BEACH VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT BEACH
- Embargoed: 28th August 2021 14:16
- Keywords: Andalusia Cordoba Spain heat heat wave hot summer temperature record
- Location: CORDOBA AND BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: CORDOBA AND BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Environment,Europe,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQ94ND3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spain's Cordoba is set to break temperature records on Saturday (August 14) as the country face its second heat wave of the summer.
Currently, the record is held by the 46.9 Celsius degrees recorded at Cordoba airport on July 13, 2017, according to Spain's weather forecast agency AEMET.
The second heat wave of the summer forced Spaniards to avoid midday hours in the sun and look for water to refresh themselves.
"I was already feeling like I was roasting, so I came to the fountains, it's great," said Cordoba resident Ivan Histrov.
Temperatures reached 41.8 degrees Celsius (107.24 Fahrenheit) at 1200GMT, according to AEMET data, although it could still rise in the afternoon. Thermometres in Cordoba city centre gave readings as high as 47 Celsius (116.6 Fahrenheit).
In Barcelona, people cooled down on the beach on Friday (August 13) night. One couple sat under the evening sky celebrating a birthday on the beach.
Spain's second bout of extreme heat of the year is forecast to spread south during the weekend before easing on Monday (August 16).
(Production: Mariano Valladolid, Jon Nazca, Nacho Doce, Elena Rodriguez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None