- Title: Ten traveling home from wedding killed in grenade attack in Karachi
- Date: 14th August 2021
- Summary: KARACHI, PAKISTAN (AUGUST 14, 2021) (NIGHT SHOTS) (REUTERS) POLICE AND PEOPLE GATHERED NEAR TRUCK REPORTEDLY TRAGETTED IN A GRENADE ATTACK SOLDIER AND POLICE INVSTIGATORS IN TRUCK BLOODIED SAUCE PAN ABANDONED SHOES PERSONNEL FROM BOMB DISPOSAL SQUAD (BDS) EXAMINING TRUCK DAMAGE OF FRONT SEAT OF TRUCK BDS PERSONNEL EXAMINING BOXES CONTAINING EQUIPMENT MORE OF BDS EXAMINING AMBULANCES POLICE OFFICIALS (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) SENIOR POLICE OFFICIAL, ADDITIONAL INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE, IMRAN YAQOOB, SAYING: â€œThis incident took place around 9:30 (p.m) today. A family from Landhi area had arrived at Mominabad area to attend a wedding feast. After leaving from there, as soon as they reached this area of Madina colony police jurisdiction, a blast took place at their vehicle. As a result eleven people died and eight others were wounded.â€ POLICE OFFICIALS STANDING (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) SENIOR POLICE OFFICIAL, ADDITIONAL INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE, IMRAN YAQOOB, SAYING: â€œReportedly, it looks like that a grenade or a cracker bomb has been thrown at this vehicle, as a result of which this blast occurred.â€ TRUCK AND POLICE MANNING CRIME SCENE TAPE AMBULANCES OUTSIDE HOSPITAL AMBULANCE ARRIVING VEHICLE CARRYING DEAD BODIES/PEOPLE RELATIVES OF VICTIMS GATHERED AT HOSPITAL
- Embargoed: 28th August 2021 23:14
- Keywords: Karachi Pakistan blast
- Location: KARACHI, PAKISTAN
- City: KARACHI, PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQ95007
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least 10 people, including women and children traveling home from a wedding ceremony, were killed on Saturday (August 14) night when an open truck was targeted in a grenade attack in Pakistan's largest city Karachi, police said.
The motive for the attack, as Pakistan celebrated Independence Day, was not immediately clear. There was no immediate claim of responsibility. Two people were critically injured.
Raja Umar Khattab, a senior official of the Karachi police counter terrorism department told Reuters that an initial investigation suggested the use of a grenade, apparently motorcyclists carried out the attack.
â€œReportedly, it looks like that a grenade or a cracker bomb has been thrown to this vehicle as a result of which this blast occurred,â€ senior police official Imran Yaqoob told reporter at the crime scene.
Last week, three people were killed in two separate grenade attacks in the southwestern city of Quetta, provincial capital of Balochistan province. The two attacks were claimed by a Baloch separatist organization.
(Production: Shahabuddin Shahab, Waseem Sattar, Edward Baran)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None