- Title: Biblical three kings parade through Madrid
- Date: 5th January 2017
- Summary: ACROBATIC ARTIST DANCING IN AIR
- Embargoed: 20th January 2017 20:41
- Keywords: Three Kings parade Epiphany Madrid children festival Spain
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0025XT2ERR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Amid tight security, thousands of excited children and adults lined Madrid's main boulevard on Thursday (January 5) evening as Melchior, Balthazar and Caspar led a theatrical parade with colourful floats, performers and animals.
Those taking part in the parade tossed sweets into the crowds to celebrate the Epiphany, the day when the biblical three kings are said to have visited the infant Christ with gold, frankincense and myrrh.
Traditionally on the eve of the Epiphany, January 5, parades take place in Spanish villages, towns and cities throughout the country.
Three King's Day on January 6 is a momentous day for many in Spain and children often wait until then to open their presents.
This year security was heightened in light of the attack in a Berlin market in December.
For the first time bollards and barriers were set up in Madrid to avoid attacks similar to those in Berlin and Nice. Vehicles weighing more than 3,500 kg. were banned in the Spanish capital ahead of the parade and immediately after it.
The security measures were also in place on January 3 and 4 when smaller parades took place in different neighbourhoods of Madrid.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.