- Title: Sole survivor from migrant dinghy rescued off Canary Islands, dozens missing
- Date: 19th August 2021
- Summary: TELDE, SPAIN (AUGUST 19, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SPAIN'S RESCUE HELICOPTER ARRIVING AT AIRPORT ON GRAN CANARIA RESCUE AND HEALTH WORKERS DISEMBARKING RESCUED WOMAN AND PUTTING HER ONTO STRETCHER
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2021 19:48
- Keywords: Africa Canary Islands Europe Spain airport dinghy helicopter migrants rescue
- Location: TELDE, SPAIN
- City: TELDE, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Europe,Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQY5TTZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: QUALITY AS INCOMING
A helicopter of Spain's 'Salvamento Maritimo' on Thursday (August 19) rescued a woman who was found by a cargo ship 135 miles off the Canary Islands after a dinghy carrying migrants capsized.
Thirty-seven migrants are feared dead after a dinghy carrying dozens of people capsized off the coast of Spain's Canary Islands, the sole survivor to have been found so far told Spain's maritime rescue services on Thursday.
The woman told rescue workers that 40 migrants were aboard the dinghy, but maritime rescue services said there no signs of any other survivors near where the vessel capsized.
The woman has been hospitalised with severe dehydration, according to Spanish news agency EFE. Two bodies were recovered.
So far this year more than 7,500 migrants have made the dangerous crossing from Africa to the Canaries archipelago, over twice as many as in the same period in 2020, which itself saw an eightfold increase from 2019.
(Production: Borja Suarez, Elena Rodriguez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None