- Title: Camp Perrin residents receive food from the World Food Programme
- Date: 19th August 2021
- Summary: CAMP PERRIN, HAITI (AUGUST 19, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WAITING FOR AID VARIOUS OF TRUCK WITH AID ARRIVING PEOPLE UNLOADING FOOD FROM TRUCKS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE CARRYING SACKS OF FOOD PEOPLE WAITING TO RECEIVE FOOD QUAKE VICTIM, LENITE GEORGES, WAITING TO RECEIVE FOOD GEORGES' FEET (SOUNDBITE) (Creole) QUAKE VICTIM, LENITE GEORGES, SAYING: "This food is very important for me, I will take it home. This will be an opportunity to share with my neighbours who need it (food), those who aren't on the (aid) lists. I need to share with them." GEORGES RECEIVING FOOD GEORGES WALKING WITH FOOD (SOUNDBITE) (Creole) QUAKE VICTIM, LENITE GEORGES, SAYING: "I don't have a job, I don't have water, I don't have food. My house got destroyed, there is nothing." PEOPLE UNLOADING SACKS OF FOOD ELDERLY ADULT WITH CROTCHES WALKING THROUGH CROWD ELDERLY ADULT BEING HELPED TO CLIMB MOTORCYCLE BOTTLE OF OIL VARIOUS OF MOTORCYCLE LEAVING WITH ELDERLY ADULT (SOUNDBITE) (French) WORLD FOOD PROGRAMME (WFP) HAITI DIRECTOR, PIERRE HONNORAT, SAYING: "We will give each family will receive 50 kg (110 pounds) (of food), which is the equivalent for a family of five people, it should last a month. It's a very basic aid, I'd say it's not enough. These people have enormous needs, we need to help them." PEOPLE CARRYING SACKS OF FOOD SHEET OF PAPER WITH LISTS OF PEOPLE RECEIVING FOOD VOLUNTEER ANNOUNCING ON MEGAPHONE WHO WILL RECEIVE FOOD PEOPLE QUEUING TO RECEIVE FOOD (SOUNDBITE) (French) WORLD FOOD PROGRAMME (WFP) HAITI DIRECTOR, PIERRE HONNORAT, SAYING: "There is food for 3,000 people, 600 families. In general only the heads of the family or women come here alone to get the food. Fortunately, we have Haitian volunteers from the Red Cross and other NGOs who are helping us here. VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WAITING VOLUNTEER HANDING FOOD TO PEOPLE VARIOUS OF FAMILY CARRYING FOOD PEOPLE ON MOTORCYCLE LEAVING WITH FOOD (SOUNDBITE) (Creole) QUAKE VICTIM, MARIE ANGIE DESIR, SAYING: "(Hurricane) Matthew destroyed my house, I reconstructed it. It was destroyed again. My husband hasn't been able to move for eight months, the worst thing is I have eight children. Things are not well in my community." DESIR QUEUING FOR FOOD PERSON UNLOADING SACK OF FOOD FAMILY ON MOTORCYCLE WITH SACKS OF FOOD
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2021 19:31
- Keywords: Camp Perrin Haiti WORLD FOOD PROGRAM aid earthquake
- Location: CAMP PERRIN, HAITI
- City: CAMP PERRIN, HAITI
- Country: Haiti
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,South America / Central America,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA001EQY6CSN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Foreign food aid slowly trickled into more rural areas of southwestern Haiti on Thursday (August 19), arriving days after a major earthquake that killed at least 2,189 people and reduced tens of thousands of buildings to rubble.
Hundreds of people lined up to receive provisions from the U.N. World Food Programme (WFP) at a camp in the rural town of Camp-Perrin for people displaced by Saturday's 7.2 magnitude quake.
"There is food for 3,000 people, 600 families" said WFP Haiti director, Perre Honnorat. He added that each family would receive 50 kg (110 pounds of food)
A mudslide caused by two nights of heavy rain earlier this week had partly blocked the main road leading to the area. Any more rain could make it impassable, locals said. People were sleeping out in a field under trees.
Many Haitians have complained about the sluggish arrival of aid, while fresh tremors are adding to anxiety.
In the coastal city of Les Cayes, one of the areas worst hit by the quake, residents were jolted from their beds by a fresh aftershock overnight.
There were no immediate reports of damage, a police officer said. Families slept on mattresses on the streets across the city, nervous about the state of buildings.
Haiti is the poorest country in the Americas, and is still recovering from a 2010 quake that killed over 200,000.
(Production: Robenson Sanon, Herbert Villarraga, Nina Lopez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None