- Title: Afghan refugees in India call on UN for resettlement options
- Date: 25th August 2021
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (AUGUST 25, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF AFGHAN REFUGEE WOMEN SEATED OUTSIDE UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES (UNHCR) OFFICE AND CHANTING (English): "WE WANT FUTURE" FLAG OF UNHCR BANNER READING (English): "UN GENEVA PLEASE HELP AFGHAN REFUGEES" PROTESTERS CHANTING "NO MORE SILENCE" CHILD AT PROTEST VARIOUS OF CHILDREN CHANTING "NO MORE SILENCE" (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) AFGHAN REFUGEE PROTESTER, MEENA SAUDAT, SAYING: "Until they give an answer to our problems, we won't budge. We are here day and night. We barely eat or drink." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CLAPPING AND CHANTING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) AFGHAN REFUGEE PROTESTER, NEELAJ, SAYING: "I can't see any future for myself because we don't get any education, nor do we get to study. All we see in the future is darkness. We are sailing through darkness in this life." PROTESTERS CHANTING PROTESTER LOOKING ON PROTESTERS CHANTING "NO MORE SILENCE"
- Embargoed: 8th September 2021 13:05
- Keywords: Afghans living in India Afghans protest protest against Afghanistan conflict protest outside UNHCR office
- Location: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERS0Y13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Afghan refugees living in the Indian capital staged a sit-in outside the United Nations refugee agency office in New Delhi on Wednesday (August 25) to press for their demands after the Taliban took over their country.
The refugees said they were calling for refugee cards, resettlement options to a third country, and more security.
One woman said they would not budge from outside the UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) office till their demands were met. They have been outside the office for three days.
The Taliban entered Kabul on August 15 after rapidly taking over much of the country, prompting chaotic scenes at the airport as crowds scrambled to escape.
(Production: Parul Gupta)
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None