- Title: Polish troops build fence on border with Belarus to stop migrants
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: NEAR NOMIKI, POLAND (AUGUST 26, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POLISH SOLDIERS BUILDING FENCE ON BORDER VIEW OF FENCE POLISH AND BELARUSIAN BORDER STONES VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS BUILDING FENCE SOLDIER STANDING, HOLDING WIRE VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS BUILDING FENCE FENCE, BORDER STONES FENCE, BELARUSIAN BORDER STONE IN BACKGROUND FENCE / GROUP OF SOLDIERS BUILDING FENCE SOLDIERS BUILDING FENCE STACK OF RAZOR WIRE ON GROUND VARIOUS OF SIGN READING (Polish): "BORDER ZONE - ENTRY PROHIBITED"
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 15:58
- Keywords: Belarus European Union Poland Poland-Belarus border migrants arriving from Belarus migrants crossing border to Poland migrants stuck on border
- Location: NEAR NOMIKI, POLAND
- City: NEAR NOMIKI, POLAND
- Country: Poland
- Topics: Europe,Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERX4JEH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Polish soldiers were building a razor-wire fence on the border with Belarus on Thursday (August 26) as the government tries to stem a flow of migrants crossing its frontier.
Poland announced earlier this week it would construct a 2.5-metre-(8.2-foot)-high solid fence on the border and double the number of troops there.
Poland and fellow European Union states Lithuania and Latvia have reported sharp increases in migrants from countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan trying to cross their borders from Belarus.
The European Union accuses Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko of orchestrating the arrival of thousands of people at the borders in retaliation for sanctions imposed on the former Soviet republic.
A group of migrants has been trapped on the Polish-Belarusian border in the open air for over two weeks, drawing condemnation from human rights advocates, who accuse the Polish authorities of inhumane treatment.
On Wednesday (August 25), the European Court of Human Rights asked the Polish and Latvian governments to intervene to help migrants camped on the border.
Poland has said responsibility for the migrants lies with Belarus.
(Production: Kacper Pempel, Karolina Bohacova)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None