- Title: Indian shares inch higher ahead of derivatives expiry; Reliance jumps
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (AUGUST 26, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF BOMBAY STOCK EXCHANGE (BSE) BUILDING TICKER SHOWING STOCK MOVEMENT (SOUNDBITE) (English) STOCK MARKET EXPERT, SUNIL SHAH, SAYING: "Today again we've seen in the first few hours of the trading that markets have touched (a) new high...(a) record high and the going is good for the investors and as I said in the past, this is an endorsement of the capital market in the country, country's economy and our corporateâ€¦ performance of our corporate." PEOPLE WALKING OUTSIDE BSE
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 08:15
- Keywords: Bombay Stock Exchange India Mumbai Nifty Sensex share market stocks
- Location: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- City: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERX1GSV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Indian shares rose marginally on Thursday (August 26), helped by a 1.5% jump in heavyweight Reliance Industries, while banks see-sawed between gains and losses ahead of the expiry of monthly derivatives contracts.
By 0505 GMT, the blue-chip NSE Nifty 50 index and the benchmark S&P BSE Sensex were up 0.22% each at 16,671.1 and 56,069.3 respectively.
The Nifty Bank index declined as much as 0.5% before gaining 0.11%.
Global rating agency Moody's has said Indian banks' improved profitability and strong buffers will help them absorb rising risks from a resurgence in cases of COVID-19.
Telecom major Bharti Airtel fell as much as 3.5% after it said it will consider various capital-raising options at a meeting this Sunday.
The announcement comes as a surprise as there is no immediate need and it is unlikely Bharti would be looking to prepay spectrum liabilities to the government, Jefferies analysts said in a note. Swan Energy surged 17.8% after saying it planned to commission a unit in the western Indian state of Gujarat.
Asian shares paused, while the U.S. S&P 500 closed at its 51st record high of the year, as investors focus on U.S. Fed Chair Jerome Powell's Friday speech on tapering the central bank's bond-buying program.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None