- Title: U.S. embassy alert advises U.S. citizens not to go to Kabul airport
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (AUGUST 25, 2021) (REUTERS) TRAFFIC AND CROWDS OUTSIDE KABUL AIRPORT VARIOUS OF CROWDS OUTSIDE KABUL AIRPORT FOOD SELLERS AND CROWDS OUTSIDE KABUL AIRPORT VARIOUS OF CROWDS OUTSIDE KABUL AIRPORT VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC, PEOPLE OUTSIDE KABUL AIRPORT SKYLINE / AIRPLANE FLYING OVERHEAD BUILDINGS PLANE FLYING OVERHEAD
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 01:07
- Keywords: Afghanistan airport alert evacuations taliban troops warning for US citizens
- Location: INTERNET/ KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: INTERNET/ KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA002ERS55QF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The U.S. embassy in Kabul advised U.S. citizens not to travel to the Hamid Karzai International Airport at this time, according to an embassy security alert issued on Wednesday (August 25).
Citizens already at the airport's Abbey Gate, East Gate, and North Gate were advised to leave immediately, said the security alert.
The alert, posted on the embassy website, gave no reason for why it was issued.
It followed warnings by U.S. President Joe Biden and other administration officials of a threat by Islamic State to evacuation operations as crowds thronged airport gates, desperate to leave following the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan.
The alert advised Americans to "be aware of your surroundings at all times, especially in large crowds."
(Production: Martin Veal)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None