- Title: France set to stop Afghanistan evacuations from Friday evening onwards - PM
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: ROISSY-EN-FRANCE, FRANCE (AUGUST 17, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EVACUEES WALKING
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 09:28
- Keywords: Afghanistan France Jean Castex Prime minister conflict evacuations
- Location: NEUILLY-SUR-SEINE & ROISSY-EN-FRANCE, FRANCE
- City: NEUILLY-SUR-SEINE & ROISSY-EN-FRANCE, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Europe
- Reuters ID: LVA005ERX3I9Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: France will no longer be able to evacuate people from Afghanistan from Friday evening onwards, French Prime Minister Jean Castex told RTL radio on Thursday (August 26).
"We are going to continue until tomorrow evening," he said.
The United States and allies urged people to move away from Kabul airport on Thursday due to the threat of a terror attack by Islamic State militants as Western troops hurry to evacuate as many people as possible before an Aug. 31 deadline.
Pressure to complete the evacuations of thousands of foreigners and Afghans who helped Western countries during the 20-year war against the Taliban has intensified, with all U.S. and allied troops due to leave the airport next week.
(Production: Lea Guedj, Yiming Woo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None