- Title: Modi hails India's 10 mln COVID vaccine doses in a single day
- Date: 28th August 2021
- Summary: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA (AUGUST 28, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PEOPLE AT HELP DESK OF CORONAVIRUS VACCINATION CENTER IDENTITY CARD OF VACCINE BENEFICIARY BEING CHECKED IN PHONE PEOPLE STANDING PEOPLE STANDING AND WAITING IN QUEUE FOR CORONAVIRUS VACCINE VARIOUS OF MAN RECEIVING CORONAVIRUS VACCINE PEOPLE STANDING IN QUEUE WOMAN RECEIVING CORONAVIRUS VACCINE HEALTHCARE WORKER ADJUSTING CLOTHES OF WOMAN AFTER DOSE OF VACCINE WAS GIVEN PEOPLE SITTING AND WAITING FOR CORONAVIRUS VACCINE (SOUNDBITE) (English) VACCINATION MEDICAL OFFICER, GREATER CHENNAI CORPORATION, DR. POOJA, SAYING: "August 27 in overall India we covered like 1 crore (10 million) vaccinations in a day. We are proud to be part of it. Actually we are considering (ourselves) as a soldier. I am acting as a soldier and sisters are major role playing in this part. We are very proud of it." KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA (AUGUST 28, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WAITING IN QUEUES FOR CORONAVIRUS VACCINE BANNER READING (English and Bengali): "COVID VACCINATION ABSOLUTELY FREE OF COST" PEOPLE STANDING IN QUEUE COVISHIELD VIALS KEPT ON TABLE WOMAN RECEIVING CORONAVIRUS VACCINE SYRINGE BEING TAKEN OUT FROM PACKET SYRINGE BEING FILLED WITH CORONAVIRUS VACCINE WOMAN RECEIVING CORONAVIRUS VACCINE/WOMAN WALKING AWAY VARIOUS OF MAN RECEIVING CORONAVIRUS VACCINE (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) HEALTHCARE WORKER, SUMANT GUPTA, SAYING: "We hope that more people will come to take the (coronavirus) vaccine. Earlier, people used to be scared that they will get fever so they did not go but there is nothing like that." JAMMU, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA (AUGUST 28, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WAITING IN QUEUES FOR CORONAVIRUS VACCINE MAN SITTING AS HEALTH CARE WORKER READIES VACCINE/MAN RECEIVING CORONAVIRUS VACCINE CHILD IN ARMS OF WOMAN LOOKING ON HEALTH CARE WORKER LOOKING ON SYRINGE IN HAND OF HEALTHCARE WORKER WOMAN RECEIVING CORONAVIRUS VACCINE COVAXIN VACCINE VIALS MAN RECEIVING CORONAVIRUS VACCINE PEOPLE SHOWING DOCUMENTS VERIFIED AT DESK MAN RECEIVING CORONAVIRUS VACCINE WOMAN LOOKING IN HER MOBILE AS SHE WAITS AFTER RECEIVING VACCINE (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) JAMMU RESIDENT, ASHA RANI, SAYING: "Sir (coronavirus) vaccination is very important as this is the only alternative that we have. We do not have any other alternative to save ourselves from COVID(-19)." NEW DELHI, INDIA (AUGUST 28, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) EXTERIOR OF DELHI GOVERNMENT SCHOOL WHERE CORONAVIRUS VACCINATION IS BEING CARRIED OUT BANNER READING (English): "COVID-19 VACCINATION ENTRY" VARIOUS OF MAN GETTING DOCUMENT VERIFIED AT DESK MAN RECEVING CORONAVIRUS VACCINE SYRINGE BEING FILLED WITH CORONAVIRUS VACCINE MAN RECEVING CORONAVIRUS VACCINE VARIOUS OF NEW DELHI RESIDENTS INCLUDING, KOMAL VATS (WEARING PINK TOP) POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPH AFTER VACCINATION (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) NEW DELHI RESIDENT, KOMAL VATS, SAYING: "The government has taken such a good initiative that they are helping everyone. They are helping like everyone. Vaccine drives are taking place at good speed all overâ€¦ across the world. So, I would like to request everyone that they should take the vaccine as soon as possible and fight COVID (-19)."
- Embargoed: 11th September 2021 09:49
- Keywords: Chennai Health India Kolkata Narendra Modi New Delhi coronavirus pandemic vaccination vaccine
- Location: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU/KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL/ JAMMU, JAMMU AND KASHMIR/NEW DELHI, INDIA/INTERNET
- City: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU/KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL/ JAMMU, JAMMU AND KASHMIR/NEW DELHI, INDIA/INTERNET
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES70NYN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: India administered more than 10 million COVID-19 vaccine doses on Friday (August 27), a national record that Prime Minister Narendra Modi hailed as a "momentous feat" for the country ahead of fears of another surge in infections.
India has now administered about 628 million vaccine doses in total, giving at least one dose to more than half of its 944 million adults and the required two doses to 15%. The government wants the entire adult population covered by December.
"Record vaccination numbers today!" Modi said on Twitter. "Crossing 1 crore (10 million) is a momentous feat."
The previous daily record was 9.2 million.
India's vaccine production has jumped this month, thanks mainly to the Serum Institute of India that is now making about 150 million doses a month of its version of the AstraZeneca vaccine.
The sharp rise in vaccinations came as India reported more than 40,000 new infections for a second consecutive day on Friday.
Cases had fallen to a five-month-low of 25,166 in the middle of the month but have risen sharply in the last three days, mainly in the southern state of Kerala which recently held a large festival during which families typically come together.
India on Saturday (August 28) reported 46,759 new coronavirus infections, the most in nearly two months, as cases surged in the southern state of Kerala after a big festival.
The South Asian country's total COVID-19 cases reached nearly 32.7 million and deaths rose by 509 to 437,370 in the last 24 hours, government data showed.
Kerala has accounted for nearly 60% of the new coronavirus cases in the past week and more than half of the total active cases, followed by 16% in the western state of Maharashtra.
"Any laxity in ensuring a strict adherence to the five-fold strategy of test-track-treat-vaccinate and ensuring COVID appropriate behavior, may result in a further surge in COVID-19 transmission in Kerala and its neighboring states," the health ministry told the Kerala state government in a letter shared with journalists.
Kerala said it would impose a lockdown on Sundays until further orders.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None