- Title: Kabul airport winds down evacuation operations
- Date: 29th August 2021
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (AUGUST 29, 2021) (REUTERS) PLANE TAKING OFF FROM THE AIRPORT BUILDINGS AROUND KABUL AIRPORT / STATIONARY PLANES ON THE TARMAC STATIONARY PLANES AT THE AIRPORT SUNRISE OVER KABUL BUILDINGS AROUND KABUL AIRPORT / STATIONARY PLANES ON THE TARMAC MOUNTAINS AROUND KABUL BUILDINGS AROUND KABUL AIRPORT / STATIONARY PLANES ON THE TARMAC SUNRISE OVER KABUL
- Embargoed: 12th September 2021 08:11
- Keywords: Hamid Karzai International Airport Taliban takeover attack threat evacuation flights
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Conflicts/War/Peace,Insurgencies
- Reuters ID: LVA001ESBZOZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A plane was seen departing Kabul's Hamid Karzai International Airport on Sunday (August 29), as international evacuation efforts wind down and the Taliban prepare to take control of the airport.
A Western security official said crowds at the airport had diminished after the U.S. warned of the threat of another attack by militants after a suicide bombing outside the airport on Thursday (August 26).
The Taliban, Afghanistan's new rulers, are aiming for a swift handover of the airport from departing U.S. forces, a Taliban official told Reuters on Sunday.
He also claimed that the group has a team of technical experts and highly qualified engineers ready to take over the airport.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None