- Title: Celebrations at home after medals rain for India at Paralympics
- Date: 30th August 2021
- Summary: JAIPUR, RAJASTHAN, INDIA (AUGUST 30, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PEOPLE DANCING AT RESIDENCE OF AVANI LEKHARA, WHO WON GOLD MEDAL IN WOMEN'S 10M AIR RIFLE STANDING SH1 IN TOKYO 2020 PARALYMPIC GAMES MAN OFFERING FLOWER GARLAND AND SWEETS TO GRANDFATHER OF LEKHARA, G. R. LEKHARA MAN PLAYING DRUM SWEETS BEING FED TO RELATIVE OF LEKHARA (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) GRANDFATHER OF AVANI LEKHARA, WHO WON GOLD MEDAL IN WOMEN'S 10M AIR RIFLE STANDING SH1 IN TOKYO 2020 PARALYMPIC GAMES, G. R. LEKHARA, SAYING: "It is a moment of great happiness. No happiness can be greater than this that our granddaughter, Avani Lekhara has won gold in the (para) Olympics. It is the fruit of her hard work that she has got and so, we are very happy." BAHADURGARH HARYANA, INDIA (AUGUST 30, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PEOPLE DANCING IN STREET TO CELEBRATE VICTORY OF ATHLETE, YOGESH KATHUNIYA WHO WON SILVER MEDAL IN DISCUS THROW F56 IN TOKYO 2020 PARALYMPIC GAMES DRUMS BEING PLAYED PEOPLE FEEDING SWEETS TO EACH OTHER AND DANCING PEOPLE RECORDING VIDEOS AS OTHERS DANCE MAN DANCING WITH CHILD FIRECRACKER BURSTING PEOPLE STANDING/FIRECRACKER BURSTING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) MOTHER OF ATHLETE, YOGESH WHO WON SILVER MEDAL IN DISCUS THROW F56 IN TOKYO 2020 PARALYMPIC GAMES, MEENA DEVI, SAYING: "I used to feel that other people buy toys for their children and I was giving a wheelchair to my child. I used to feel very sad but today, after seeing him at this place I have forgotten everything. He is standing on his feet and he is working very hard. My happiness knows no bounds today." (REPORTER ASKING: How do you see the silver medal that he has won?) I see it as a gold medal. I do not see it as a silver medal. It is gold for me." WOMEN DANCING TOKYO, JAPAN (AUGUST 30, 2021) (POTRAIT MODE) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (SD) KATHUNIYA CRYING/KATHUNIYA HOLDING INDIAN NATIONAL FLAG AND POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) INDIAN ATHLETE, YOGESH KATHUNIYA, SAYING: "It feels really good that I won the silver medal. It was my debut so; I am feeling very happy about this." (REPORTER ASKING: What all problems did you face? I made a foul but despite that, good things happened and I got the medal."
- Embargoed: 13th September 2021 08:57
- Keywords: Avani Lekhara India Japan Paralympics Tokyo Yogesh Kathuniya celebrations family sports sweets
- Location: JAIPUR, RAJASTHAN/ BAHADURGARH HARYANA, INDIA/ TOKYO, JAPAN/INTERNET
- City: JAIPUR, RAJASTHAN/ BAHADURGARH HARYANA, INDIA/ TOKYO, JAPAN/INTERNET
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001ESH13DB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS STILL IMAGES
EDITORS PLEASE NOTE THIS EDIT CONTAINS PORTRAIT MODE
Celebrations erupted at residences of Indian athletes who shined at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games by winning gold and silver medals in shooting and discus throw on Monday (August 30).
Indian Paralympian, Avani Lekhara won a gold medal in women's 10m air rifle standing SH1, while athlete Yogesh Kathuniya won a silver medal in discus throw F56 in Tokyo Paralympics.
Relatives and friends of Lekhara in northwestern Jaipur and Kathuniya in northern Bahadurgarh cities danced to the drumbeats and celebrated the proud occasion.
Shooter, Lekhara who was injured in a car accident that impaired her legs became the first Indian woman to win gold in the Paralympics.
While Kathuniya was left with coordination impairments after a paralytic attack at a young age.
An emotional Meena Devi, Kathuniya's mother said seeing his son's success has made her forget the pain of the past.
India has won a total of seven medals so far including one Gold, four Silvers, and two Bronze at the Paralympics.
The Paralympics are set to run from Aug. 24 to Sept. 5, mostly without spectators, since much of Japan, including Chiba and the Games host city of Tokyo, are under a state of emergency, aiming to rein in the disease.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None