- Title: Dog-and-owner duos race on land and sea in Croatian beach contest
- Date: 30th August 2021
- Summary: VARIOUS OF DOG OWNERS AND DOGS ON BEACH, MUSIC ON BACKGROUND PEOPLE ON BEACH AT SUNSET
- Embargoed: 13th September 2021 11:04
- Keywords: Croatia Dog racing beach race competition race
- Location: CRIKVENICA, CROATIA
- City: CRIKVENICA, CROATIA
- Country: Croatia
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Europe
- Reuters ID: LVA002ESH2L2X
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Dog-and-owner duos gathered on Sunday (August 29) in Crikvenica, for the traditional end-of-summer canine race hosted by one of Croatia's few dog-friendly beaches.
The event includes a short running and swimming race and some highly competitive ice cream speed-eating and beer drinking contests - by the dogs.
Thirteen owners and their dogs took part in the competition, running down the pier and then jumping into the water and swimming about 100 metres (328 ft) to the shore.
This year's race was won by Antonija Pirker and Nando, a two-year-old dog adopted from a local shelter.
Race organiser Ruby Montenari said this year's edition saw slightly fewer contestants than usual because of the coronavirus pandemic trying to "mess up" the event. Her daughter Korina took part in the competition, but couldn't finish as her canine companion was unable to swim.
Jelena Lesaja said she wasn't surprised her dog Jagoda won the ice cream eating contest, as her pet "eats everything" to the point that she has to mind that garbage bags are not left open.
(Production Boris Kavic, Fedja Grulovic, Hedy Beloucif)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.