- Title: Afghans fire arms in the air to celebrate the last U.S. troops leaving
- Date: 31st August 2021
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (AUGUST 31, 2021) (REUTERS) TRACER BULLETS FIRING IN THE SKY VARIOUS OF AUDIO OF GUNS FIRING / TRACER BULLETS SEEN IN THE DISTANCE SKY VARIOUS OF MULTIPLE TRACER BULLETS FIRING IN THE SKY
- Embargoed: 14th September 2021 02:28
- Keywords: Afghanistan celebrations foreign troops left guns firing last U.S. plane
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ESLZ6FB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Celebratory shots rang out in Kabul early on Tuesday (August 31) as the United States completed the withdrawal of its forces from Afghanistan, ending 20 years of war that culminated in the militant Taliban's return to power.
Washington and its NATO allies were forced into a hasty exit. Following a chaotic evacuation, they leave behind thousands of Afghans who helped Western countries and might have qualified for evacuation.
Taliban spokesman Qari Yusuf said: "The last U.S. soldier has left Kabul airport and our country gained complete independence," Al Jazeera TV reported on Monday (August 30).
President Joe Biden said in a statement after the withdrawal that the world would hold the Taliban to their commitment to allow safe passage for those to want to leave Afghanistan.
The operation was completed before the Tuesday deadline set by Biden, who has drawn heavy criticism from both Democrats and Republicans for his handling of Afghanistan since the Taliban took over Kabul earlier this month after a lightning advance.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None