- Title: Nigeria's Buhari meets West African leaders to discuss Gambia
- Date: 9th January 2017
- Summary: ABUJA, NIGERIA (JANUARY 9, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NIGERIAN PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI WALKING TO WELCOME ARRIVING PRESIDENTS CONVOY DRIVING THROUGH GATE OF PRESIDENTIAL VILLA
- Embargoed: 24th January 2017 14:12
- Keywords: Gambia Muhammadu Buhari Yahya Jammeh Ellen Sirleaf Johnson Macky Sall John Mahama ECOWAS
- Location: ABUJA, NIGERIA
- City: ABUJA, NIGERIA
- Country: Gambia
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0015YD0X1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday (January 9) hosted a meeting with three ECOWAS (Economic Community of West African States) leaders to discuss ways to ensure a peaceful transition of power in Gambia.
West African leaders are pursuing mediation led by Buhari to ensure a peaceful transfer of power in Gambia where President Yahya Jammeh refused to accept defeat in an election last month.
Liberia President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Senegal President Macky Sall and former Ghanaian President John Mahama attended the meeting.
Jammeh, who seized power in a 1994 coup, initially conceded defeat to opposition rival Adama Barrow in the December 1 vote, but then called for a new election, drawing condemnation from local opponents and foreign powers.
His refusal to step down has raised the spectre of military intervention by West African forces after the ECOWAS body said it was putting military forces on alert. Jammeh called that a "declaration of war".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.