- Title: Cambodia unveils Chinese financed sports stadium
- Date: 12th September 2021
- Summary: PHNOM PENH, CAMBODIA (SEPTEMBER 12, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF THE MORODOK TECHO NATIONAL STADIUM VARIOUS OF CAMBODIAN, CHINESE AND A WHITE FLAG READING "CHINA AIDS"" STADIUM STADIUM SEATS IMAGE OF CAMBODIAN PRIME MINISTER HUN SEN AND CHINESE PRESIDENT XI JINPING INTERIOR OF STADIUM VARIOUS OF CHINESE ENGINEERS, CAMBODIAN SPORTSMEN AND SPORTSWOMEN SITTING HUN SEN AND THE CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTER WANG YI ARRIVING ON STAGE WANG YI WALKING TO PODIUM SOUNDBITE (Mandarin) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTER, WANG YI SAYING: (APPROXIMATE TRANSLATION) "Cambodia and China are both the developing countries and we are building for the community together and China will help to develop in all fields in both countries and China will help Cambodia by giving the people for better living, get more benefits for their family and we hope that Cambodia will be more prosperous in the future." WANG YI TAKING HIS SEAT CAMBODIAN GOVERNMENT MINISTERS SITTING ON STAGE LISTENING CAMBODIAN PRIME MINISTER HUN SEN WALKING TO PODIUM SOUNDBITE (Khmer) CAMBODIA'S PRIME MINISTER, HUN SEN SAYING: "I ask the CAMSOC (Cambodian SEA Games organizing Committee) chairman to invite the foreign soccer teams to play or train here and I ask all of our sportsmen and women who were trained by the ministry of education in their regions, they should come to have the competition here in order to make this place as a system to attract tourism and development." HUN SEN SPEAKING WANG YI LISTENING TO SPEECH VARIOUS OF SIGNING CEREMONY TO HANDOVER THE STADIUM BETWEEN VICE CHAIRMAN OF CAMSOC THONG KHON (RIGHT) AND A CHINESE MINISTER HUN SEN WALKING AWAY AFTER THE HANDOVER CEREMONY CAMBODIAN SPORTSMEN WATCHING
- Embargoed: 26th September 2021 16:29
- Keywords: 2023 South East Asia games Cambodia China Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi stadium
- Location: PHNOM PENH, CAMBODIA
- City: PHNOM PENH, CAMBODIA
- Country: Cambodia
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Athletics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001EUEWO5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen presided over the handover ceremony of Morodok Techo National Stadium on Sunday (September 12) in the suburbs of the capital Phnom Penh.
The newly completed Morodok Techo National Stadium building through a $160 million grant from the Chinese government to the Cambodian SEA Games Organizing Committee (CAMSOC), will be used as the centrepiece venue for the 2023 South East Asia Games.
The five-storey stadium was built by China State Construction Engineering Corporation on more than 85 hectares of land outside Phnom Penh and more than 600 Cambodian and Chinese engineers, designers, foremen and construction crew worked on the project.
''Cambodia and China are both the developing countries and we are building for the community together,'' Wang said during the handover ceremony.
(Production: Chantha Lach)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None