- Title: Google, Apple remove Navalny app from stores as Russian elections begin
- Date: 17th September 2021
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (SEPTEMBER 16, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PHONE RUNNING APP 'SMART VOTING' DEVELOPED BY TEAM OF OPPOSITION LEADER ALEXEI NAVALNY VARIOUS OF APP SHOWING CANDIDATES SMART VOTING SUGGESTS TO VOTE FOR
- Embargoed: 1st October 2021 08:23
- Keywords: Alexei Navalny Apple Appstore Google Play Russia Russian election Russian opposition
- Location: INTERNET / MOSCOW, RUSSIA / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- City: INTERNET / MOSCOW, RUSSIA / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Europe,Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA003EV3XIRR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: FOR MORE COVERAGE OF PARLIAMENTARY ELECTION PLEASE SEE:
5094-RUSSIA-ELECTION//POLLS OPEN-FAR EAST
Alphabet's Google and Apple have removed jailed Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny's tactical voting app from their stores, his team said on Friday (September 17), after Russia accused the U.S. tech firms of meddling in its internal affairs.
Russia goes to the polls on Friday to elect a new parliament in a three-day vote that the ruling United Russia party is expected to win despite a ratings slump after the biggest crackdown on the Kremlin's critics in years.
Allies of Navalny, President Vladimir Putin's fiercest domestic opponent, planned to use the mobile app to organise a tactical voting campaign to deal a blow to United Russia.
Russia demanded this month that Apple and Google remove the app from their stores, saying a refusal to do so would be treated as meddling in its parliamentary election.
Apple and Google did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
(Production: Elena Ostrovskaya)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.