- Title: Pele in 'stable' condition after respiratory problems, hospital says
- Date: 18th September 2021
- Summary: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL (SEPTEMBER 17, 2021) (REUTERS) MAIN ENTRANCE OF ALBERT EINSTEIN ISRAELITE HOSPITAL WHERE PELE IS HOSPITALIZED VARIOUS OF HOSPITAL SIGN
- Embargoed: 2nd October 2021 00:24
- Keywords: Edson Arantes do Nascimentoâ€‹ Pele Sao Paulo's Albert Einstein hospital soccer sports
- Location: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL / INTERNET
- City: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL / INTERNET
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: South America / Central America,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002EV3ZPS3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Brazil soccer legend Pele, 80, is in a "stable" condition after "respiratory instability" early on Friday (September 17) led to him being admitted to an intensive care unit, Sao Paulo's Albert Einstein hospital said in a statement.
Concerns grew about Pele's health on Friday after local media reported that he had returned to an ICU that he had only just left earlier this week as he recovers from a colon tumour removal.
The hospital said Pele "presented a brief respiratory instability" and was admitted to an ICU as a "preventive measure." After he was stabilized, it said he had been moved to "semi-intensive care" and was now "stable from a cardiovascular and respiratory point of view."
After arriving at the ICU, Pele said in a message to fans on Instagram that he was ''recovering well'' and thanked his supporters for all their love.
Pele has suffered from hip problems for years and cannot walk unaided. His public appearances were already being cut before the COVID-19 pandemic and since then he has made few unnecessary forays outside his house near Santos.
(Production: Leonardo Benassatto, Geraldine Downer)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None