- Title: Exiled Tibetans monastery shut in India as COVID-19 cases rise
- Date: 26th September 2021
- Summary: DHARAMSALA, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA (SEPTEMBER 26, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) EXTERIOR OF EXILED TIBETANS PARLIAMENT VARIOUS OF PEOPLE NEAR PARLIAMENT NORBULINGKHA MONASTERY NOTICES PASTED AT MONASTERY GATE NOTICES READING (English and Tibetan): "NO MASK NO ENTRY, SORRY WE ARE CLOSED TODAY" (SOUNDBITE) (English) DIRECTOR OF DELEK HOSPITAL, DAWA PHUNKEY, SAYING: "Yes, (Norbulingkha Monastery) is a containment zone. Day before yesterday, myself, health secretary, health officer, we went there, instructed the community leaders there and yesterday evening the district administration has converted that area into a containment zone." EXTERIOR OF DELEK HOSPITAL WHERE THE PATIENTS ARE BEING TREATED LETTERS READING NAME OF HOSPITAL SIGNBOARD READING IN TIBETAN AND ENGLISH AMBULANCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) SPOKESPERSON OF TIBETAN GOVERNMENT IN-EXILE, TENZIN LEKSHAY, SAYING: "We have a task force for the COVID and as far the result is concerned, our numbers are picking up because one thing is that there is a rigorous kind of checks going on between the communities, so that we can prevent further contaminations or further prevalence of the disease." MONKS WALKING PEOPLE OUTSIDE HOSPITAL
- Embargoed: 10th October 2021 09:01
- Keywords: COVID-19 Dalai Lama Dharamsala India coronavirus exiled Tibetans monastery
- Location: DHARAMSALA, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA
- City: DHARAMSALA, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWCUY4V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:District administration of India's northern hill town of Dharamsala declared Norbulingkha Monastery as a containment zone after about 90 fresh COVID-19 cases came up in the past 10 days.
Total 88 exiled Tibetans, including some monks, tested positive in the last 10 days in the town, out of which 35 were reported in the monastery itself.
The government-in-exile has been functioning in India since 1960 after the current Dalai Lama and many others fled Tibet following a failed uprising against the Chinese occupation of their homeland in 1959.
India reported 28,326 new COVID cases, and 260 deaths in the past 24 hours.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None