- Title: Drone footage shows volcanic eruption and extension of lava stream
- Date: 27th September 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 26, 2021) (REUTERS) (MUTE) VARIOUS DRONE SHOTS OF CUMBRE VIEJA VOLCANO SPEWING LAVA AND LAVA STREAM FLOWING DOWN THE MOUNTAIN, SMOKE BILLOWING FROM VOLCANO AND LAVA STREAM VARIOUS OF BLACK LAVA STREAM WITH HOUSES AND BUILDINGS NEARBY, VOLCANO SPEWING LAVA IN THE BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF THICK SMOKE BILLOWING FROM VOLCANO VARIOUS OF SMOKE BILLOWING FROM BLACK LAVA STREAM DOWN MOUNTAIN VARIOUS OF BLACK LAVA STREAM BESIDE HOUSES AS SMOKE BILLOWING FROM VOLCANO
- Embargoed: 11th October 2021 10:18
- Keywords: La Palma Spain drone footage volcanic eruption volcano
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWHXKQV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Drone footage showed on Sunday (September 26) the extension of the lava streams engulfing towns and fields as they flowed from the Cumbre Vieja volcano in La Palma.
Reuters drone footage showed a rapid river of red hot lava flowing down the slopes of the crater, passing close to homes, and swathes of land and buildings engulfed by a black mass of slower-moving, older lava.
On Monday (September 27) morning after dawn, the volcano in La Palma was quieter and less active than in the previous days, but experts did not rule out further explosions could start again.
Emergency authorities ordered people in an area on the eastern shore of La Palma island to lock down as the lava gushing from the Cumbre Vieja volcano approaches the sea.
The 1,250 Celsius degree lava may touch the Atlantic Ocean in the coming hours, likely causing explosions and send clouds of toxic gases over the island, the Canary Islands emergency services warned on Monday morning.
People in the coastal areas of San Borondon, Marina Alta and Baja, and La Condesa were ordered to lockdown.
La Palma, with a population of over 83,000, is one of an archipelago making up the Canary Islands.
(Production: Miguel Gutierrez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None