- Title: Authorities says eruption not stabilised in La Palma, testing gases
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 29, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TIMELAPSE OF VOLCANO ERUPTING
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 15:19
- Keywords: La Palma Spain lava news conference presser volcano
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWRWMDJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Authorities in the Canary Island warned on Wednesday (September 29) that the volcano eruption is not stabilized and said they are testing the gases rising from lava to monitor its danger to the population.
Incandescent lava gushing from the volcano poured down a cliff into the sea early on Wednesday in the Playa Nueva area near the town of Tazacorte and could be seen protruding above the Atlantic Ocean waterline, sending clouds of steam into the sky.
"The eruption is not stabilised, there is a dynamic that is beyond our control and therefore we continue to monitor," said Pevolca official Ruben Fernandez at news conference.
Thousands of people have been evacuated since an eruption in the Canary Islands archipelago began 10 days ago. Three coastal villages had been locked down since Monday in anticipation of the lava reaching the sea and potentially liberating harmful gases.
"We are carrying out a follow-up study of the gases emitted by the lava in contact with the sea, and until we have a definitive result that guarantees that these areas are not at risk, these confinement measures will continue," told reporters Fernandez.
Residents on the western coast had been told to seal doors and windows with tape and wet towels. That recommendation was not yet lifted, but authorities said measurements showed the air was so far still safe to breathe.
Smoke clouds billowed from the volcano and the molten rock as it flowed down Cumbre Vieja's western flank.
(Production: Elena Rodriguez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None