- Title: Women across Latin America march in favour of abortion rights
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PROTESTER, ITA MARIA DIEZ, SAYING: "Women are reminding states and societies that we are full citizens, we are not second-class. And that as full citizens we have rights and that one of those rights is the right to abort, to the voluntary interruption of a pregnancy, to decide for our bodies, our lives and motherhood, whether we want to be mothers or not." PROTESTERS CHEERING PROTESTERS CHANTING AND WAVING GREEN FLAG SIGN ON BAG READING: (Spanish) "FREE ABORTION" BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (SEPTEMBER 28, 2021) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS GATHERING OUTSIDE CONGRESS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WITH BANNERS GREEN BANDANA THAT IS SYMBOLIC IN THE PROTEST FOR LEGALISED ABORTION PROTESTERS HOLDING PLACARDS PROTESTERS CHANTING: (Spanish) "LEGAL AND SAFE ABORTION. TODAY." (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PROTESTER, CELESTE FIERRO, SAYING: "Argentina's struggle (to make abortion legal) has seen the advancement in the fight for our rights across Latin America. That's why we believe it's necessary to continue (fighting for rights), not only to demand the implementation here but to also accompany the struggle of women, dissidents and people from all over the world, so that our basic right to decide on our bodies is guaranteed.'' LIMA, PERU (SEPTEMBER 28, 2021) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS GATHERING OUTSIDE THE PALACE OF JUSTICE
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 01:42
- Keywords: Argentina Brazil Colombia Peru abortion legalised protest
- Location: BOGOTA, COLOMIBIA + BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA + LIMA, PERU + SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
- City: BOGOTA, COLOMIBIA + BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA + LIMA, PERU + SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
- Country: Colombia
- Topics: South America / Central America,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA003EWRUJBB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS NUDITY
Thousands of women demonstrated in several Latin American cities on Tuesday (September 28) to commemorate the global day of action for access to safe and legal abortion, in a region where the procedure is fully permitted only in a handful of countries.
In Colombia, where abortion is allowed only in cases of rape, risks to the life of the mother, or birth defects, some 800 women marched towards the centre of Bogota.
In Argentina, protesters turned up outside of Congress vowing the fight for abortion rights is not yet over. Late last year Argentina legalised abortion, a first for a big country in Latin America and a triumph for women's rights campaigners achieved over the visceral objection of the Catholic Church.
But the situation is different in nearby Peru, where abortion is illegal except in case of a threat to the life or health of the woman.
In 2015, the country's congress voted against a bill that would have allowed rape victims who have become pregnant to choose to abort.
In Latin America's biggest country Brazil, abortions are only allowed in specific circumstances, such as rape or health risk to the mother.
Every year, thousands of women in Latin America die from unsafe abortions at a time when teenage pregnancies and sexual violence continue to increase in the region.
(Production: Carlos Valdez, Herbert Villarraga, Luisa Gonzalez, Nathalia Angarita, Camilo Cohecha, Horacio Soria, Pablo Garcia, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None