- Title: Lava from La Palma volcano flows into the sea as dawn breaks
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 29, 2021) (REUTERS) THICK CLOUDS OF SMOKE RISING FROM HILLSIDE, LAVA FLOWING DOWN HILLSIDE INTO SEA VARIOUS OF THICK CLOUD OF SMOKE RISING FROM SEA, LAVA FLOWING INTO THE SEA
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 08:06
- Keywords: Canary Islands La Palma volcano Spain lava flow volcanic eruption
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA002EWRV9DZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Red hot lava flowed into the sea off Spain's La Palma island on Wednesday morning (September 29), sending clouds of smoke billowing into the air.
Incandescent lava gushing from the volcano for 10 days poured down a cliff into the sea early on Wednesday in the Playa Nueva area.
Authorities in Spain's Canary Islands told residents on the western coast of La Palma to lock down and seal doors and windows with tape and wet towels to ward off toxic gases spewed by lava from the Cumbre Vieja volcano.
Lava has been flowing down Cumbre Vieja's western flank toward the sea since Sept. 19, swallowing almost 600 houses and banana plantations in La Palma, which neighbours Tenerife in the Canary Islands archipelago off the North African coast.
Thousands of people have been evacuated and three coastal villages were locked down on Monday in anticipation of the lava reaching the sea.
Spain classified La Palma as a disaster zone on Tuesday, a move that will trigger financial support for the island.
(Production: Marco Trujillo, Amy Pollock)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None