- Title: Red hot lava spurts and flows from Spain's La Palma volcano
- Date: 11th October 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 11, 2021) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) LAVA SPEWING FROM VOLCANO LAVA SPEWING / STREAM OF LAVA LAVA SPEWING LAVA SPEWING / STREAM OF LAVA / SMOKE BILLOWING LA PALMA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 11, 2021) (REUTERS) LAVA / SMOKE BILLOWING OVER HOUSES
- Embargoed: 25th October 2021 08:35
- Keywords: dawn flowing la palma lava red hot lava rivers volcano
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001EYPSOJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Red hot lava was seen fervently spurting from the Cumbre Vieja volcano on Spain's La Palma island in the early hours of Monday morning (October 11).
Streams of lava flowed down, as plumes of smoke billowed over houses in the vicinity of the volcano.
The magma rivers have destroyed 1,186 buildings since the eruption on Sept. 19, the Canary Islands Volcanic Institute said.
Lava has engulfed 493 hectares (1,218 acres) of land, said Miguel Ãngel Morcuende, technical director of the Canary Islands Volcanic Emergency Plan (Pevolca) organisation.
About 6,000 people have been evacuated from their homes on La Palma, which has about 83,000 inhabitants.
(Production: Silvio Castellanos, Paul Warren, Hannah Ellison)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None