- Title: Actors Johnny Depp, Amber Heard finalize bitter divorce
- Date: 14th January 2017
- Summary: VENICE, ITALY (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF AMBER HEARD AND JOHNNY DEPP AT VENICE FILM FESTIVAL
- Embargoed: 28th January 2017 01:20
- Keywords: Johnny Depp Amber Heard divorce Los Angeles Superior Court
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / PALM SPRINGS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / VENICE, ITALY / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES/INTERNET
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / PALM SPRINGS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / VENICE, ITALY / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES/INTERNET
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts/Culture/Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA0025YX1LJH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Film star Johnny Depp's tumultuous divorce from actress Amber Heard was finalized on Friday (January 13), ending the couple's marriage after months of highly publicized claims by Heard of domestic violence and counterclaims from Depp of financial blackmail.
Court papers filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court on Friday detailed a splitting of marital assets and an agreement by Depp, 53, to pay a previously announced sum of $7 million to Heard, 30, that she said will be donated to charity.
Heard filed for divorce in May after 15 months of marriage, and days later obtained a temporary restraining order against Depp.
She said in court filings that Depp was abusive to her throughout their marriage, culminating in an argument in May in which he hurled a cell phone into her face and shattered various objects in her apartment.
A lawyer for Depp denied allegations of abuse and argued that Heard was "attempting to secure a premature financial resolution by alleging abuse."
As part of the divorce settlement, Heard dismissed her request for a continued restraining order against Depp.
She also dropped her defamation lawsuit against Depp's friend, comedian Doug Stanhope, over an article he had written accusing the actress of blackmailing and manipulating her estranged husband.
The divorce papers showed that Depp would retain sole possession of numerous real estate assets, including properties in Los Angeles, Paris and his private island in the Bahamas. He will also keep more than 40 vehicles and vessels, including vintage cars and his motorcycle collection.
Heard will maintain custody of her dogs Pistol and Boo, the two canines at the center of a scandal in Australia in which Heard pleaded guilty to falsifying travel documents to sneak her pets into the country in 2015 without proper quarantine procedures.
Heard said she would split her $7 million divorce settlement equally between the American Civil Liberties Union and the Children's Hospital of Los Angeles.
Court papers said Depp has paid $200,000 of the settlement so far, and will pay the rest over the course of the year.
The payments will be made from Depp's compensation from his upcoming film "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales" and sale of some of his properties, the papers showed.
Heard's attorney, Pierce O'Donnell, hailed the finalization as a "great day" for his client, adding, "All Amber wanted was to be divorced and now she is."
There was no immediate statement from Depp or his representatives.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.