- Title: Iraqi army sweeps Yarimja district for remaining militants
- Date: 15th January 2017
- Summary: YARIMJA DISTRICT, MOSUL, IRAQ (JANUARY 15, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS ON STREET (AUDIO OF GUNFIRE) TIGRIS RIVER MORE OF THE TIGRIS RIVER / BOAT USED BY ISLAMIC STATE MILITANTS SOLDIERS ON STREET VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS INSPECTING GRENADES AND EQUIPMENT LEFT BEHIND BY MILITANTS IRAQI RAPID RESPONSE SOLDIER FIRING MISSILE AT WESTERN SIDE OF MOSUL VARIOUS OF SMOKE RISING FROM TARGETED LOCATION (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MEMBER OF THE RAPID RESPONSE UNIT, CAPTAIN ALI RADI, SAYING: "Yesterday, rapid response forces were able to liberate the district of Yarimja, which we consider strategic due to its proximity to Mosul airport. As you know, after we have liberated and cleared the area, we set up a new frontline and are waiting for orders to move onto the western side." SOLDIERS STANDING / BODY OF A MILITANT NEXT TO TUNNEL SEEN IN DISTANCE VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS INSPECTING GRENADES AND EQUIPMENT LEFT BEHIND BY MILITANTS RESIDENTS SPEAKING TO SOLDIERS SOLDIERS WALKING INTO A HOME USED BY MILITANTS VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS INSPECTING MORTARS LEFT BEHIND BY MILITANTS EXTERIOR OF A CEMETERY IN THE DISTRICT VARIOUS OF HEADSTONES DESTROYED BY MILITANTS PEOPLE WALKING DOWN A STREET CHILDREN AND AN ELDERLY WOMAN BEING PUSHED ON CART (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT OF EASTERN MOSUL, ABU FARIS, SAYING: "(We left) from the Faisalia district. Mortars were falling on us, no one was hurt, they landed on the street and on the roof. But we were worried that the children will get hurt so we left." PEOPLE WALKING ON PAVEMENT VARIOUS OF PEOPLE PUSHING CARTS LOADED WITH BAGS ON STREET
- Embargoed: 29th January 2017 16:43
- Keywords: Mosul Islamic State war liberation Tigris river
- Location: YARIMJA NEIGHBOURHOOD, MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: YARIMJA NEIGHBOURHOOD, MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0015Z6Y53B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Iraqi special forces swept through the recaptured district of Yarimja in southern Mosul on Sunday (January 15), one of the last areas that had been controlled by Islamic State militants in the south of the city.
The advance brings them to the southeastern banks of the Tigris river, which the forces reached last week for the first time in the almost 3-month campaign.
However, the areas of the city to the west of the river remain under IS control and still pose a danger to Iraqi forces.
"Yesterday, rapid response forces were able to liberate the district of Yarimja, which we consider strategic due to its proximity to the Mosul airport. As you know, after we have liberated and cleared the area, we set up a new frontline and are waiting for orders to move onto the western side," said captain Ali Radi of the rapid response unit.
Soldiers seized dozens of weapons and mortar shells left behind by Islamic State militants.
The forces also uncovered a cemetery which has been desecrated by the militants, who have destroyed all the headstones.
Assaults on the western half of Mosul are expected to begin once Iraqi forces have secured the east bank.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None