- Title: Iraqi forces capture the Mosul University and nearby district
- Date: 15th January 2017
- Summary: EASTERN MOSUL, IRAQ (JANUARY 15, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF COUNTER TERRORISM SERVICE (CTS) VEHICLES AND SOLDIERS ON STREET IN MOSUL UNIVERSITY SOLDIERS STANDING ON TANK CTS ARMOURED VEHICLE WITH IRAQI FLAG / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE VARIOUS OF TANKS AND HUMVEES / PLUME OF SMOKE VARIOUS OF A HUMVEE DRIVING THROUGH THE CAMPUS EXTERIOR OF A DAMAGED/CHARRED BUILDING SIGN READING (Arabic): "MOSUL UNIVERSITY, FACULTY OF SCIENCES" EXTERIOR OF A DAMAGED BUILDING (BIOLOGY DEPARTMENT) SIGN ON BUILDING READING (Arabic): "FACULTY OF SCIENCES, BIOLOGY DEPARTMENT" (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) COUNTER TERRORISM SERVICE COMMANDER, LIEUTENANT GENERAL ABDELWAHAB AL-SAADI, SAYING: "The university was a base used by Daesh (Islamic State) militants. They used the labs and workshops here to build explosives, weapons and chemical devices. They also built drones here. We have (taken) control (of) this base, which was one of Daesh's main bases on this [eastern] side." EXTERIOR OF THE DAMAGED CHEMISTRY DEPARTMENT SIGN READING (Arabic): "MOSUL UNIVERSITY, FACULTY OF SCIENCES, CHEMISTRY DEPARTMENT" VARIOUS OF EMPTY SHELLS THOUGHT TO BE USED TO CREATE BOMBS EXTERIOR OF STUDENT AFFAIRS DEPARTMENT SIGN READING (Arabic): "STUDENT AFFAIRS SECTION" VARIOUS OF DAMAGED BUILDINGS IN UNIVERSITY COMPLEX VARIOUS OF CTS HUMVEES PARKED ON ROAD VARIOUS OF A DAMAGED BUILDING ANDALUS DISTRICT, EASTERN MOSUL, IRAQ (JANUARY 15, 2017) (REUTERS) CTS HUMVEES ON ROAD SOLDIERS STANDING IN THE STREET SOLDIER KICKING DOWN DOOR OF HOUSE / SOLDIERS RUN INTO HOUSE SOLDIERS WALKING DOWN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CTS COMMANDER, LIEUTENANT GENERAL ABDELWAHAB AL-SAADI, SAYING: "We are now in the Andalus district, this neighbourhood is opposite the (Mosul) university and close to the Ghabat district. It has been completely cleared and just recently we killed two Daesh (Islamic State) militants in this area. There are families here, and we are continuing the clearing operation, God willing life in Mosul will be better than it was." MAN CARRYING WHITE FLAG AND HOLDING UP VICTORY SIGN (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT, WISSAM (NO SURNAME GIVEN), SAYING: "They (Islamic State militants) would not let anyone see them, if you walk out your door, they would imprison you." SOLDIER ASKING: "Were there Chechens? Russians?" WISSAM SAYING: "Yes from everywhere, everywhereâ€¦ Before [the army] came, there were clashes there, they were fighting among themselves, if you go there you will see their cars, they fought each other." WISSAM STANDING WITH HIS CHILDREN IN DOORWAY VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS IN THE AREA CTS VEHICLE / AUDIO OF GUNFIRE
- Embargoed: 29th January 2017 12:00
- Keywords: Mosul University Islamic State battle street fighting liberation
- Location: MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0015Z6XF0N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Iraqi special forces swept the campus of Mosul University on Sunday (January 15) to clear it of any remaining Islamic State militants after taking full control of the area, a spokesman said.
Counter-terrorism service (CTS) troops drove the jihadists back inside the strategically located university complex and seized clusters of buildings including colleges on Saturday (January 14), an important gain towards retaking the entire eastern half of the city.
"They used the labs and workshops here to build explosives, weapons and chemical devices. They also built drones here. We have (taken) control (of) this base, which was one of Daesh's main bases on this [eastern] side," said Lieutenant General Abdelwahab al-Saadi.
Parts of the sprawling campus overlook neighbouring districts in eastern Mosul, making it a crucial gain for taking remaining IS-held areas along the Tigris river, an Iraqi commander said this week.
CTS forces also captured the Andalus district, which lies next to the university.
"We are now in the Andalus district, this neighbourhood is opposite the (Mosul) university and close to the Ghabat district. It has been completely cleared and just recently we killed two Daesh (Islamic State) militants in this area," said al-Saadi.
Iraqi forces, backed by air cover from a U.S.-led coalition, say they are close to recapturing the entire eastern bank of the river, bringing them in full control of eastern Mosul, and thus half of IS's last major Iraq stronghold.
Attacks on the west of the city, which Islamic State still fully controls, can begin once the east is secured. The Tigris bisects Mosul from north to south.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None