- Title: Icebreakers tackle icy waters of Danube
- Date: 17th January 2017
- Summary: BELGRADE, SERBIA (JANUARY 17, 2017) (REUTERS) SERBIAN ICEBREAKER DOCKED ALONGSIDE ANOTHER BOAT (SOUNDBITE) (Serbian) ASSISTANT SERBIAN TRANSPORT MINISTER, IN CHARGE OF RIVER TRAFFIC, VELJKO KOVACEVIC, SAYING: "The problem, the point of crushing that ice is to allow the water to flow, to remove the plugs because they influence the level of the water, the formation of more ice and so on. So, the point is to secure that flow of water and that is the role of icebreakers." SERBIAN ICEBREAKER DEPARTING FROM BELGRADE RIVER PORT ICEBREAKER PASSING ICEBREAKER SOUNDING OFF HORN BARGES TRAPPED BY ICE ALONG BRIDGE PILLAR WIDE OF PUPIN BRIDGE AND DANUBE UNDER ICE DUCKS AROUND HOLE IN ICE BOATHOUSE CRUSHED BY ICE WIDE OF CRUSHED BOATHOUSE AND FROZEN RIVER SEAGULL ON PILLAR BY FROZEN RIVER PEOPLE WALKING ON ICED-OVER PIER MOBILE TOILET / BOATS TRAPPED IN FROZEN RIVER BOATS IN FROZEN DANUBE SWANS AND DUCKS SWIMMING IN PATCH ON FLOWING WATER VARIOUS OF SWANS AND DUCKS PEOPLE WALKING ALONG PARTIALLY FROZEN RIVER/BIRDS SWANS SWIMMING IN RIVER MAN FEEDING SWANS ON RIVER BANK CRANE ON PIER MAN FEEDING SWANS CRANE OPERATOR CRANE LIFTING BOAT FROM PARTIALLY FROZEN RIVER MAN ON JETTY FLOATING ALONGSIDE BOATHOUSE RESTAURANT SWAN SWIMMING IN RIVER UNDER SIGN SAYING "RESTAURANT CLOSED BECAUSE OF DANGER FROM ICE" BOATHOUSE RESTAURANT CRANE PULLING JETTY FROM RIVER PEOPLE AND DOG INSIDE BOAT STANDING ON RIVER BANK BOAT
- Embargoed: 31st January 2017 15:53
- Keywords: weather winter frost icy
- Location: DALJ, CROATIA AND BELGRADE, SERBIA
- City: DALJ, CROATIA AND BELGRADE, SERBIA
- Country: Serbia
- Topics: Environment,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA0025ZGWHFR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hungarian and Serbian icebreakers on Tuesday (January 17) tackled ice on the Danube, which threatened to damage infrastructure and possibly cause flooding.
Two Hungarian icebreakers were dispatched to a section of the river that serves as a natural border with neighbours Croatia and Serbia. The ice was particularly heavy where the Danube sharply bends at Dalj, on the Croatian side.
A Serbian icebreaker, along with another ship, were dispatched in Belgradem where a number of vessels, including a floating restaurant, were trapped in the ice.
The ice, slowly moving along the Danube through Serbia from Hungary, destroyed jetties, boats and boathouses parked along its shores.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None