- Title: Crowd gathers in Washington to protest against President-Elect Donald Trump
- Date: 19th January 2017
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JANUARY 18, 2017) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS HOLDING UP SIGNS WITH U.S. CAPITOL BUILDING IN BACKGROUND "TRUMP-PENCE ILLEGITIMATE" SIGN PROTESTERS WEARING KLU KLUX KLAN TYPE WHITE HOODS WITH TRUMP MASKS PROTESTER ON MEGAPHONE CROWD OF PROTESTERS PROTESTERS HOLDING SIGNS PAN FROM POLICE TO PROTESTERS PROTESTERS WITH SIGNS CROWD OF PROTESTERS U.S. CAPITOL BUILDING DOME PROTESTERS IN FRONT OF POLICE VEHICLE WITH CAPITOL BUILDING IN BACKGROUND ZOOM INTO PROTESTER WEARING WHITE HOOD WITH TRUMP MASK PROTESTERS SIGNS PROTESTERS BY POLICE VEHICLES WITH CAPITOL IN BACKGROUND
- Embargoed: 2nd February 2017 01:20
- Keywords: protest Donald Trump election inauguration Washington
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0015ZQVSJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A group that opposed the presidency of Donald Trump marched in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday (January 18).
Refusefascism.org says they want to stop the Trump-Pence presidency before it begins, according to the groups website.
Calling the president-elect a fascist and illegitimate the group marched from McPherson Square towards the U.S. Capitol building.
The group is one of many enraged by Trump's election as president of the United States. Another grout DisruptJ20 vows to disrupt his inauguration this week by blocking public access to the event.
Trump has angered many on the left with demeaning comments about women, immigrants and Muslims, a vow to repeal the sweeping healthcare reform law known as "Obamacare" and plans to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.
The U.S. Secret Service and Washington police are expecting some 900,000 people to pack into the area between the Capitol and White House on Friday to view the swearing-in and will have thousands of uniformed officers on site.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None