- Title: Sydney ushers in Lunar New Year - the year of the rooster
- Date: 27th January 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PEOPLE DRESSED AS ROOSTERS AND CHICKENS DANCING IN FRONT OF SYDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE VARIOUS OF TRADITIONAL CHINESE DANCERS
- Embargoed: 10th February 2017 12:50
- Keywords: Chinese Lunar New Year celebrations Sydney Asia
- Location: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
- City: SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
- Country: Australia
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA00360UVF45
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Sydney ushered in the Chinese Lunar New Year on Friday (January 27), with its famous opera house illuminated in red and street performances.
Residents and visitors gathered around the city's Circular Quay to watch traditional Chinese dancing, as well as a fireworks display over the Sydney Opera House.
The Lunar New Year starts on Saturday (January 28), heralding the Year of the Rooster.
Sydney's Lord Mayor Clover Moore said her city was "very proud" to host "biggest celebration" of the Chinese New Year outside Asia.
The celebrations are estimated to attract over a million visitors to the Harbour City, organisers said.
The Lunar New Year festival in Sydney will run from January 27 to February 12, with festivities including night food markets and dragon boat racing.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.