- Title: Sao Paulo celebrates Lunar New Year
- Date: 29th January 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF KUNG FU PRESENTATION ON STAGE AUDIENCE LOOKING ON MORE OF KUNG FU CELEBRATION VARIOUS OF AUDIENCE AT EVENT
- Embargoed: 12th February 2017 00:09
- Keywords: Lunar New Year Sao Paulo Chinatown Asian diaspora
- Location: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
- City: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Human Interest/Brights/Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA00560ZVSD5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Members of the Chinese community in Sao Paulo performed traditional dragon dances and put on kung fu martial arts displays Saturday (January 28) to celebrate the dawning of the Lunar New Year.
The famous dragon dance is performed by a group of dancers who hold the red beast's body on long sticks, manipulating it into smooth undulations chasing after a metallic ball.
A colourful lion dance was also performed in respect of the gods, whilst martial arts were demonstrated in a rich display of Chinese culture.
In the Chinese calendar, each year is represented by one of the 12 animals from the Chinese zodiac. This is the year of the rooster, who is being celebrated worldwide to invite good fortune and prosperity, and chase away bad luck.
"The year of the rooster will bring a lot of coming together, creativity and celebration. It's the year people can dare to conquer new challenges," said Kung Fu master Selma Kazue alongside a day of Kung Fu presentations.
For the organizer of the event in Sao Paulo, Kelly Lam, the occasion was an important moment for social and cultural integration in the area.
"We look forward to being here for this party, this commemoration here in Brazil, in Sao Paulo. Our celebration is in its 12th year, and it's always a great success. Brazilians like to party, so they come out and get to know our culture," she said.
Sao Paulo is known for its buzzing Japanese quarter, and less so for the presence of the Chinese community.
The Lunar New Year is considered a major holiday for Chinese around the world and is a traditional celebration which includes praying to ancestors, cleaning houses, lighting firecrackers and giving money in red envelopes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.