- Title: TANZANIA: FOOTBALL/SOCCER - Ivory Coast football squad arrives
- Date: 4th January 2010
- Summary: DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA (JANUARY 2, 2010) (REUTERS) FOOTBALL FANS WAITING FOR IVORY COAST NATIONAL TEAM TO ARRIVE AT THE AIRPORT FANS HOLDING SHIRTS AND PICTURES OF DROGBA
- Embargoed: 19th January 2010 12:00
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA33O1LTNORJ4O6WCOBAE5EEUWX
- Story Text: Didier Drogba and other members of Ivory Coast's national team arrived in Tanzania on Saturday (January 2) to play a series of friendly matches ahead of the 2010 African Cup of Nations (CAN) in Angola later in January.
The team was received by members of Tanzania's Football Federation (TFF) and several football fans.
Tanzania has been marketing itself as a training destination for teams headed to the World Cup in South Africa in July 2010.
At a news conference in Dar es Salaam on Sunday (January 3), Tanzania Football Federation President Leodgar Tenga expressed pride.
"We have here in Tanzania the leaders and players of the World Class Team," Tenga said.
Tanzania's Taifa Stars will play the Elephants in two matches scheduled for January 4 and January 7 at the national stadium in Dar es Salaam.
They will come face to face with other household names like Barcelona's Yahya Toure, Chelsea's Solomon Kallou and Manchester City Defender, Kolo Toure who ply their trade in European clubs.
The Ivorians meet Ghana and Burkina Faso in Group B at the Cup of Nations between January 10 and January 31.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains identifiable children: users must ensure that they comply with local laws and regulations governing the publishing of this material.