- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: Katy Perry and Lady Gaga headline Capital FM's Jingle Bell Ball
- Date: 9th December 2013
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (DECEMBER 7, 2013) (REUTERS) CAPITAL FM PROMOTERS OUTSIDE O2 ENTRANCE CAPITAL FM JINGLE BELLS BALL SIGN BEING SHOWN OUTSIDE O2
- Embargoed: 24th December 2013 12:00
- Location: United Kingdom
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts
- Reuters ID: LVA46H7SHD1D99EK7HXRHPZPZRTD
- Story Text: Christmas came early as a selection of the biggest stars in pop music performed at London's O2 Arena last weekend (December 7/8) as a part of radio station Capital FM's Jingle Bell Ball.
Saturday's show (December 7) was headlined by Katy Perry, who performed her latest hit, 'Roar', along with a selection of her other biggest singles, to the crowd of 16,000.
Lady Gaga headlined Sunday's show (December 8) performing a selection of hits including 'Applause' and 'Do What U Want'.
Former British X Factor finalist Olly Murs kicked off Saturday's proceedings playfully inviting fans to 'twerk' with him, in the style of Miley Cyrus, before performing singles including 'Dance With Me Tonight'.
BRITs Critic's Choice nominee Sam Smith took the stage alongside hitmakers, Disclosure, whose album hit Number 1 earlier in the year. Asked whether their rapid rise to fame had sunk in, they replied: "It still hasn't, I don't think. I don't think it ever will to be honest, it's been such a whirlwind this year, everything that's happened. I think until we stop and have a break we'll kind of look back and go "that was a crazy time," but yeah, when you're in the middle of it you've just got to keep going."
Others artists who entertained the audience included Tinie Tempah, boyband Union J, Ellie Goulding, Rizzle Kicks and last year's X Factor winner, James Arthur.
Jessie J opened Sunday's show performing hits 'Thunder' and 'It's My Party' in a suitably festive sparkling red leotard. Her performance was followed by appearances from Little Mix, Rudimental, Jason Derulo, Dizzee Rascal, The Vamps and John Newman.
Lady Gaga closed the show performing a medley of favourite hits including 'Bad Romance', 'Just Dance', 'Aura', 'Poker Face' as well as 'Applause' and 'Do What U Want' - tracks from her new album, 'Artpop'.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None