- Title: SAUDI ARABIA: Pilgrims perform walk around the Ka'aba.
- Date: 19th October 2012
- Summary: MECCA, SAUDI ARABIA (OCTOBER 18, 2012) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF OVERVIEW OF KA'ABA WITH PILGRIMS CIRCLING AROUND PILGRIMS CIRCLING AROUND THE KA'ABA AT THE GRAND MOSQUE MORE OF CIRCULATION AROUND KA'ABA VARIOUS OF SHOTS FOR THE PILGRIMS CIRCULATING AT PRAYER TIME VARIOUS OF PILGRIMS AT THE TOP FLOOR OF THE GRAND MOSQUE LISTENING TO ATHAN AND PRAYING TO GOD
- Embargoed: 3rd November 2012 12:00
- Location: Saudi Arabia
- Country: Saudi Arabia
- Topics: Religion
- Reuters ID: LVA2B9EJO9PF4QK288O7FTSF9RPN
- Story Text: Pilgrims continue to arrive in Mecca and mark the start of the Haj by walking around the Ka'aba.
Muslim pilgrims performed the walk around the Ka'aba (Tawaf ) at the Grand Mosque in the Saudi holy city of Mecca on Thursday (October 18).
Muslims started the rituals of the haj, the world's largest annual pilgrimage, by doing the Tawaf-circulating 7 times around the Ka'aba waiting for the big and official day of Haj-pilgrimage on October 25.
Muslim pilgrims are still streaming to Mecca city from Medina and Jeddah and also through the Saudi Arabian borders with other countries.
All Muslims who are able are required to perform the haj at least once, as one of the five pillars of Islam.
The numbers taking part have risen sharply over the last 80 years from around 20,000 in 1932 to nearly three million in 2011.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None