- Title: SAUDI ARABIA: Saudi man weighing 1,345 pounds is airlifted to hospital
- Date: 19th August 2013
- Summary: JAZAN, SAUDI ARABIA (AUGUST 19,2013) (REUTERS ) VARIOUS OF ROYAL SAUDI AIR FORCE EVACUATION PLANE FLYING OVER THE CITY OF JAZAN SAUDI HEALTH MINISTRY TEAM ARRIVING AT THE HOME OF KHALID MOHSIN SHAERI IN JAZAN CITY KHALID MOHSIN SHAERI IN HIS ROOM SUROUNDED BY MEDICAL TEAM AND REPORTERS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) NASSER MAKEEN, COUSIN, SAYING: ``Khalid has suffered from a disease since he was young and has had several operations. His illness has worsened recently. He became bedridden, and his weight started increasing day after day until he ended up the weight he is now. We wish him good health and wellness.`` POLICE OFFICERS SURROUNDING THE EVACUATION AREA CIVIL DEFENCE OFFICER DIRECTING FORKLIFT CREW CARRYING THE MAN FROM HIS HOUSE ON THE SECOND FLOOR VARIOUS OF CIVIL DEFENCE TEAM AND MEDICAL CREWS CARRYING KHALID SHAERI VARIOUS KHALID ON A SPECIAL BED LIFTED BY THE FORKLIFT AMBULANCE SUPERVISOR TALKING ON WALKY TALKY CIVIL DEFENCE TEAM CARRYING MAN ON FORKLIFT PEOPLE WATCHING THE EVACUATION VARIOUS OF MAN ENTERING AMBULANCE WIDE OF EVACUATION AREA (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) NASER MAKKE, COUSIN, SAYING: ``In fact, it is an indescribable feeling, we have been waiting for this moment for a long time, the King, may God protect him and give him the long life, had given his instructions to the ministry of health to do all the arrangements to transfer the patient for treatment in a safe way.``. AMBULANCE CARRYING KHALID LEAVING FOR JAZAN AIRPORT AMBULANCE ARRIVING AT EVACUATION AIRCRAFT AT JAZAN AIRPORT ROYAL EVACUATION AIRCRAFT AT JAZAN AIRPORT VARIOUS OF CIVIL DEFENCE TEAM AND MEDICS CARRYING MAN BY FORKLIFT FROM AMBULANCE CLOSE OF FORKLIFT DRIVER VARIOUS OF CIVIL DEFENCE TEAM PUTTING MAN INTO AIRCRAFT EVACUATION TEAM TAKING GROUP PHOTO AND CLAPPING CELEBRATING THE SUCCESS OF THE EVACUATION OPERATION.
- Embargoed: 3rd September 2013 13:00
- Location: Saudi Arabia
- Country: Saudi Arabia
- Topics: Health,Quirky,People
- Reuters ID: LVA1PPWBSGPQ7QZPVVF4FIA2BGAO
- Story Text: Saudi man, Khalid Mohsin Shaeri weighs 610 kg (1,345 pounds) and has been unable to leave his bedroom for the past two and a half years.
Six months ago King Abdullah asked for Khalid to be taken to hospital but treatment had to wait until a special bed was made for him in the United States.
The 20-year-old patient was taken to King Fahd Medical City in Riyadh on Monday (August 19) after the Saudi King arranged for his special air transportation from the southern city of Jazan. Saudi's Health Ministry worked with civil defence and the Saudi Red Cross to organise the patient's evacuation after part of his home was demolished so he could be brought down from the second floor. A forklift was used to transfer him to an ambulance which took him to a local airport in Jazan and a waiting aircraft to take him on to hospital in Riyadh.
Cousin Naser Makke said he was relieved Khalid was finally being sent for treatment.
"We have been waiting for this moment for a long time, the King - may God protect him and give him the long life - had given his instructions to the ministry of health to do all the arrangements to transfer the patient for treatment in a safe way,`` he said.
Khalid was reported to have a brother and sister who are also overweight, but able to walk.
Local media reported that the Saudi Health Ministry had dealt with other morbidly obese patients this year, including two siblings who weighed 300 kilograms (661 pounds) and 350 kilograms (771 pounds) respectively.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None