- Title: WEST GERMANY: SAUDI ARABIAN FOREIGN MINISTER IN BONN FOR TALKS.
- Date: 22nd January 1976
- Summary: 1. SV Diplomatic cars outside Foreign Ministry PAN TO W. German and Saudi Arabian flag 0.6 2. SV Prince Saud with Scheel leaving conference 0.24 3. CU Prince's aide with group 0.30 4. SV Photographers 0.32 5. SV Scheel and Prince Saud entering room 0.38 6. Schmidt and Prince Saud enter room and shake hands before sitting 1.04 7. SV Prince Saud and Schmidt talking 1.09 Initials CL/1953 CL/2004 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 6th February 1976 12:00
- Location: BONN, WEST GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVA78C6E06JJVIXEIKL6UMYY7FQA
- Story Text: The Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister, Prince Saud Al-Faisal, arrived in Bonn, West Germany on Wednesday (21 January) for talks with West German ministers and officials on economic co-operation, oil supplies and the Middle East situation.
Soon after arriving Prince Saud met his West German counterpart, Hans-Dietrich Genscher for a first exchange of views. Later he called on Chancellor Helmut Schmidt and President Walter Scheel.
West Germany receives a quarter of its oil imports from saudi Arabia. Sources in Bonn say that the Government hopes the talks will lead to progress on West German oil exploration and production projects in Saudi Arabia.
In August last year there was surprise and disappointment in Boon when Saudi Arabia made it clear that it was not prepared to participate in tri-lateral development projects between West Germany, Saudi Arabia and the Sudan.
The reason given for this was that such participation might impose too great a strain on Saudi Arabian resources as the country embarked on an ambitious five-year development plan.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None