- Title: SAUDI ARABIA: PRESIDENT ARIF OF IRAQ IN JEDDAH FOR TALKS FOR KING FAISAL
- Date: 24th August 1967
- Summary: King Faisal greets President Arif as he leaves airliner; they embrace and President Arif meets Saudi Arabian Ministers; Guard of Honour. Initials RM/VS/CR/VOO Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 8th September 1967 13:00
- Location: JEDDAH, SAUDI ARABIA
- Country: Saudi Arabia
- Reuters ID: LVADX6SNRCN3F68PP8R3ZON6WR1E
- Story Text: King Faisal of Saudi Arabia and President Abdel-Rahman Arif of Iraq held formal talks in Jeddah today (Thursday) on the Middle East situation. President Arif arrived yesterday from Kuwait after similar talks with Amir, Sheikh Sabah al Salem al Sabah.
Saudi Arabia and Iraq have been at loggerheads recently over Iraq's plan for the use of oil as a political weapon in the Arab fight against Israel. Iraq wants the Arab countries to cut off all sales of oil for three months, and then to resume sales only to those countries which oppose Israeli action in the Middle East.
Saudi Arabia was one of the countries which opposed the plan at a meeting of Arab Ministers in Baghdad earlier this month.
Tomorrow, President Arif is due to begin a two-day visit to the Lebanon, including talks in Beirut with President Charles Helou.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None