- Title: U.A.R: FAISAL OF SAUDI ARABIA ARRIVES FOR STATE VISIT.
- Date: 20th June 1971
- Summary: 1. GV EXT. Airport 0.06 2. CU Member of Guard of Honour. 0.10 3. SV Faisal down steps of aircraft and greeted by Sadat. 0.34 4. GV People on airport building. 0.38 5. SV Faisal receives flowers from girl and boy. 0.51 6. SV People waving from airport building. 0.54 7. SV Faisal and Sadat wave. 1.09 8. GV EXT. Kubbeh Palace. 1.12 9. SV Cars with escort arrive. 1.17 10. SV Faisal and Sadat at steps and into palace. 1.28 11. SV Pressmen 1.33 12. CU Faisal talking to Sadat. 1.46 13. SV INT. Lights in palace. 1.49 14. SV Faisal shaking hands with Sadat (2 shots) 1.57 15. SV Faisal and Sadat shaking hands with ambassadors and ministers arriving for dinner. 2.08 Initials VS/20.45 VS/21.05 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 5th July 1971 13:00
- Location: CAIRO, U.A.R.
- Country: Egypt
- Reuters ID: LVABHMB8C43VLJCQS2ZUUJP8QVOD
- Story Text: King Faisal arrived in Cairo by air yesterday (June 19) for a week long state visit to Egypt -- his first visit there since President Sadat came to power on the death of President Nassar last September. The two leaders have since begun talks on a wide range of subjects, including the possibility of an Arab summit meeting to deal with the Arab-Israeli conflict. This film shows President Faisal's arrival at Cairo airport and a state banquet in his honour later that evening.
SYNOPSIS: Cairo, Saturday -- and the arrival of King Faisal of Saudi Arabia for a week-long state visit. It is his first visit to Egypt since President Nassar died last September. The King, heading a six-man delegation including his ministers of defence, aviation and foreign affairs, was greeted by President Anwar Sadat.
The two leaders and their teams of ministers have since started talks on a wide rang of topics, including the possibility of an Arab summit on the Arab-Israeli situation. Ten Arab nations have already agreed to such a summit. Other topics including the tension between the Jordanian Government and the Palestine guerrillas; the proposed Gulf federation. Britain, which is withdrawing its forces from the Gulf later this year, favours the formation of a Federation -- but the project has run into difficulties because of suspicion and rivalries between the Gulf rulers. In recent weeks several of them have visited Cairo to discuss their problems with Egyptian leaders -- the same problems that President Sadat and King Faisal will be talking about this week.
Following King Faisal's arrival on Saturday, a state banquet was held in his honour at the Kubbeh Palace that evening, when he was presented with an Arab sword and a picture of a holy shrine by President Sadat. At the dinner were several Egyptian and Saudi Arabian ministers and various Arab ambassadors. King Faisal's visit ends on Saturday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None