- Title: SAUDI ARABIA: THOUSANDS ARRIVE EACH DAY FOR ANNUAL PILGRIMAGE TO MECCA.
- Date: 26th November 1976
- Summary: 1. GV Pilgrims arriving at airport with luggage (5 shots) 0.30 2. SV Pilgrims' luggage being driven away 0.42 3. SV People pushing trolley with luggage aboard (2 shots) 1.07 4. GV PAN Pilgrims' belongings on tarmac 1.10 5. GV PAN Traffic in street near hotel 1.23 6. SV & GV Pilgrims seated with luggage (6 shots) 1.42 Initials BB/1750 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 11th December 1976 12:00
- Location: JEDDAH, SAUDI ARABIA
- Country: Saudi Arabia
- Reuters ID: LVA6ITK1YJ88MH0AN2M0CGSBEZFN
- Story Text: Every day now thousands of Moslems are earring in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, for the annual pilgrimage to Mecca -- known as the Hajj.
SYNOPSIS: In the last week more than 200 flight s carrying the pilgrims have touched down daily. In all it's expected there'll be an influx of two million people. For Moslems to make a pilgrimage to the Holy City of Mecca at least once in a life time is an obligation, as well as a dream. Many of those two make the trip are poor and have saved for a long time to meet their religious obligation to Islam. Loaded down with their belongings and often accompanied by young children they may seem confused on arrival at Jeddah airport. But once they are there the Saudi Arabian government does everything in its power to make their stay pleasant and trouble free.
Earlier this month the country's Council of Ministers, under the direction of Crown Prince Fahd, reviewed a health plan for the Hajj to ensure that the well being and medical needs of all pilgrims would be catered for. The Justice Ministry, under the personal supervision of its Minister, Sheikh Ibrahim Ibn Muhammad Al-Sheikh, has also put a plan into action that will assist pilgrims with any legal problems that may arise during their stay.
This year, to make sure there's no inflated food price or Trade has taken steps to guarantee adequate food supplies of meat, ice, sugar, rice, breads and fruits at fixed prices. Additional staff have also bene engaged in Jeddah and Mecca to make sure all the government plans run smoothly and efficiently.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None