- Title: UGANDA: KING FAISAL OF SAUDI ARABIA VISITS UGANDA.
- Date: 15th November 1972
- Summary: 1. GTV Decorated buildings 0.05 2. SV King Faisal shakes hands with Ugandan Moslems 0.11 3. SV Amin and Faisal leave room and a long passage (2 shots) 0.26 4. GV Decorated streets 0.30 5. SV People waiting outside mosque 0.34 6. GV Amin and Faisal in open car 0.40 7. GV Crowd, Amin and Faisal out of car, walk to mosque (3 shots) 0.58 Initials ES. 1705 ES. 1720 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 30th November 1972 12:00
- Location: KAMPALA, UGANDA
- Reuters ID: LVA5WU5Y6KU8UB7KO2AKB1F6W6QK
- Story Text: During a visit to Uganda, King Faisal of Saudi Arabia, called on all countries to wage war on Zionism. Speaking at a state banquet given in his honour by President Idi Amin on Wednesday (15 November) King Faisal said the Zionists were there to destroy all human organisations, civilisations and the work that good people were trying to do.
The King thanked General Amin for what he called "Brave and courageous support of the Arab peoples" and, in particular, for the steps he had taken against the Jews.
During the three-day visit, King Faisal planned two rounds of talks with General Amin as well as discussions with members of Uganda's Moslem Supreme Council.
Earlier, President Smin had described his guest as "a guiding light of excellence". He said that Uganda attached particular importance to the King's three-day state visit and pledged continuing support for the Arab cause. During a visit to half-completed army barracks at Bombo, 20 miles (32 kms) north of Kampala, President Amin told the crowds that King Faisal had promised finance to complete the work and the barracks would in future be known as "King Faisal of Saudi Arabia Barracks."
Earlier this month, Uganda received a three-million pound sterling (7 million dollar) loan from Saudi Arabia. President Amin said there were many other projects to which the King would give assistance.
At his arrival on Wednesday (Nov 15), eight-thousand Ugandans greeted King Faisal at the airport.
SYNOPSIS: During a three-day visit to Uganda, King Faisal of Saudi Arabia called on all countries to wage war on Zionism. King Faisal was speaking at a state banquet on Wednesday, after being greeted at Kampala airport by Uganda's President Idi Amin, and members of Uganda's Supreme Moslem Council. The King thanked General Amin for his support of the Arab peoples.
Preparations for the visit were on a scale not seen since the visit of Pope Paul three years ago. General Amin said that Uganda attached exceptional importance to the King's visit. He pledged continuing support for the Arab cause.
The King and President Amin visited the Kibuli Mosque in Kampala where thousands of jubilant Moslems were waiting to greet the Arab leader. In honour of King Faisal's visit, General Amin declared Friday a national holiday. The King also visited a mosque at Bombo, twenty miles from Kampala.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None