- Title: SAUDI ARABIA: MUSLIM ARRIVE FOR THE HAJ PRILGRIMAGE AND PRAY FOR TSUNAMI VICTIMS
- Date: 17th January 2005
- Summary: (BN15) MECCA, SAUDI ARABIA (JANUARY 17, 2005) (REUTERS ACCESS ALL) 1. WIDE OF PEOPLE OUTSIDE MOSQUE GATHERING FOR AFTERNOON PRAYERS 0.05 2. WIDE OF PEOPLE GATHERING TO ATTEND AFTERNOON PRAYERS 0.10 3. VARIOUS OF WOMEN PRAYING 0.30 4. VARIOUS HIGH SHOTS OF KABBA WITH CROWD AROUND 0.42 5. WIDE OF CROWD 0.48 6. WIDE OF CROWDS ARRIVING INSIDE MOSQUE 0.54 7. VARIOUS HOTS OF MUSLIMS PERFORMING UMRA/ PROCESSING AROUND KABBA 1.06 8. WIDE OF TOP OF MOSQUE WITH CRESCENT SYMBOL 1.11 9. SCU SOUNDBITE: (Arabic) INDONESIAN PILGRIM MOHAMED BADRUL SAYING IN FRONT OF AL HARAM MOSQUE " All Indonesians are praying for the victims of the Tsunami. I believe that the people of Aceh had brought tragedy on themselves, it happened to them because of what they do" 1.17 10. VARIOUS OF HIGH SHOTS OF MOSQUE DURING CALL TO PRAYER 1.37 11. HAV ILLUMINATED MINARETS OF MOSQUE 1.41 12. WIDE OF CROWDS INSIDE MOSQUE AROUND KAABA SHRINE 1.46 13. VARIOUS OF MUSLIMS PRAYING EVENING PRAYERS 1.59 14. WIDE OF INTERIOR OF MOSQUE AND KAABA SHRINE 2.03 15. WIDE OF MUSLIMS PRAYING 2.14 16. WIDE OF MUSLIMS PRAYING OUTSIDE OF MOSQUE 2.21 17. HIGH SHOT OF EVENING PRAYERS 2.27 18. WIDE OF MOSQUE AND SHRINE 2.34 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 1st February 2005 12:00
- Location: MECCA, SAUDI ARABIA
- Country: Saudi Arabia
- Reuters ID: LVA59N7PMF1OFSCDWMOQU6OT9A2M
- Story Text: Muslims flock to the holy city of Mecca for the haj
Muslims flocking into the holy city of Mecca for
the Haj pilgrimage say they are praying for the victims of
Asia's tsunami, but most rejected some clerics' view that
the disaster was God's punishment.
Some prominent clerics in Saudi Arabia, which imposes a
hard-line brand of Sunni Islam alien to most of the world's
Muslims, have suggested the tragedy was punishment for
Indonesia's open-arms to western tourism, with its
mixed-sex beaches, bars and night clubs.
Indonesian pilgrim Mohamed Badrul said the people of Aceh
- a rebellious province of Indonesia which had the most
victims -- had brought tragedy on themselves.
" All Indonesians are praying for the victims of the
Tsunami. I believe that the people of Aceh had brought
tragedy of themselves, it happened to them because of what
they do", he said.
Officials say over 1.6 million have come from abroad for
this year's Haj, a once in a lifetime duty for every
able-bodied Muslim, and Indonesia has met its quota of
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None