- Title: SAUDI ARABIA: JEDDAH PREPARES FOR THIRD ISLAMIC CONFERENCE OF FOREIGN MINISTERS.
- Date: 29th February 1972
- Summary: 1. GV EXT. Jeddah Palace Hotel 0.05 2. GV Flags 0.11 3. SV TILT DOWN Hotel to people on porch 0.19 4. GV INT. Conference Hall 0.24 5. SV & CU Conference symbol on wall 0.32 6. SV PAN Along delegates' places 0.42 7. SV Pakistan position 0.46 8. SV Television camera 0.50 9. GV Conference hall (2 shots) 1.01 10. SV EXT. Banner "Welcome to Jeddah" 1.04 11. GV City street scene 1.09 12. SV People in street (2 shots) 1.19 13. LV Skyline scenes (2 shots) 1.30 14. GV Street scene 1.34 Initials SGM/0254 SGM/0307 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 15th March 1972 12:00
- Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- Country: Saudi Arabia
- Reuters ID: LVAF2L5J5XC4XLJCCMJX7S2TQEJ4
- Story Text: The third Islamic Conference of Foreign Ministers opened in Saudi Arabia today (29 February), under the chairmanship of Saudi Foreign Minister Omar Sakkaf.
Representatives of most Muslim countries were due to take their places around the horseshoe-shaped table in Jeddah's Palace Hotel. Iraq and South Yemen do not participate for ideological reasons; the new state of Bangladesh is not represented, but the newly independent Arabian Gulf states were due to take part for the first time.
In the absence of Bangladesh, discussions were expected between supporters of Pakistan's position and those, like Malaysia, Indonesia and Senegal, which have already recognised the Dacca Government.
Discussions were also expected on the creation of an Islamic bank, an Islamic news agency, and islamic cultural centres. Delegates were expected to consider the fate of Muslim minorities in various countries, including the Philippines, and to reaffirm their will to liberate Jerusalem..
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None