- Title: UNITED STATES: HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME STAR FOR DAVID BOWIE
- Date: 12th February 1997
- Summary: LOS ANGELES AND BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FEBRUARY 12, 1997)(RTV - ACCESS ALL) LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES 1. SLV DAVID BOWIE WALKING UP STEPS AND ARRIVING AT CEREMONY IN WHICH HIS STAR IS TO BE UNVEILED BOWIE JOINS WITH WIFE IMAN 0.14 2. SCU HONOURARY "MAYOR" OF HOLLYWOOD JOHNNY GRANT SAYING "THIS MORNING WE HONOUR DAVID BOWIE WITH A STAR ON THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME" (ENGLISH) 0.25 3. SLV BOWIE HOLDS HIS HANDS TO HIS FACE 0.27 4. SV FANS WATCH 0.29 5. SMV BOWIE SAYS "WHEN ME AND MY BUDDIES ARE HANGING OUT AT THE HOLLYWOOD ENTERTAINMENT MUSEUM I CAN JUST WHIP OUT A MIRROR, HOLD IT UP AND SAY 'THERE'S MY STAR UP THERE, WITH MY NAME WRITTEN BACKWARDS, DIVAD EIWOB.'"(ENGLISH) 0.49 6. SLV FANS PAN RIGHT TO BOWIE AND GRANT AND UNIDENTIFIED RECORD COMPANY EXECUTIVE KNEELING BY STAR; UNVEIL STAR 1.17 7. SCU STAR 1.19 8. SLV REPORTERS PAN RIGHT TO BOWIE WITH A PLAQUE AND KNEELING BY THE STAR 1.27 9. CU STAR TILT UP TO BOWIE WITH WIFE IMAN HOLDING PLAQUE 1.34 10. SV FANS HOLDING PORTRAIT OF BOWIE 1.36 BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FEBRUARY 12, 1997) (RTV) 11. SCU BOWIE SAYS "THIS WHOLE THING WAS JUST LIKE A PIECE OF DADA, IT REALLY WAS, WITH A FAKE MAYOR AND EVERYTHING, I MEAN IT COULDN'T HAPPEN ANYWHERE ELSE. COULD IT ? (ENGLISH) 1.58 Initials s2 p2 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 27th February 1997 12:00
- Location: LOS ANGELES AND BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVABOVV73DMO7UKLQQFU0R9XCFDV
- Story Text: - INTRO: British pop singer David Bowie joined hundreds of film stars, musicians and singers Wednesday (February 12) when a star with his name on it was added to the sidewalk on Hollywood Boulevard.
Grinning from ear to ear and accompanied by an entourage that included his supermodel wife, Iman, David Bowie entered rock and roll history Wednesday (February 12) when he unveiled his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
The 50-year-old British pop star, who usually shuns such show biz trappings, told several hundred fans gathered for the occasion that it was "a very nice thing." Later in the day, in an interview with Reuters Television, Bowie termed the ceremony "just like a piece out of Dada." "The whole thing was just like a piece out of Dada, it really was, with a fake mayor and everything," he said. The pop star was referring to Johnny Grant of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce who bills himself as honourary "mayor" of the famous Los Angeles neighbourhood.
Bowie's star is located on a busy sidewalk along Hollywood Boulevard, outside the Hollywood Entertainment Museum. The Walk of Fame is overseen by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, which charges $7,500 for a star.
Looking very dapper with an orange hair-do, a slight goatee, black shirt and trousers with a grey coat, Bowie launched into a lengthy joke about how one of his friends had bought him a star in the sky as a birthday gift about 20 years ago, but the one today was much better.
"When me and my buddies are hanging out at the Hollywood Entertainment Museum, I can just whip out a mirror, hold it up and say, 'That's my star up there -- with my name written backwards' .."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None