- Title: ARGENTINA: PRESIDENT MARIA PERON REFUSES DEMANDS OF PERONIST MOVEMENT LEADERS.
- Date: 25th February 1976
- Summary: 1. GV Peronists outside Government House 0.06 2. GV Peronist leaders arrive for meeting with President Peron (5 shots) 0.42 3. CU Peronists chanting 0.48 4. GV President Peron walking through cheering crowds, surrounded by security men (5 shots) 1.18 Initials CL/1805 CL/1815 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 11th March 1976 12:00
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Reuters ID: LVAV4WGK8TVM2D0WC720ZL1AZTK
- Story Text: In a key meeting with Peronist Movement leaders in Buenos Aires, Argentina on Monday (23 February), the Argentine President, Mrs. Maria Peron, was warned that her refusal to re-shuffle her cabinet spelt doom for the present government.
Leaders of the Peronist -- or Justicialist -- Movement bluntly told the President that to save her administration she would have to introduce economic reforms and sack several Cabinet ministers and advisors.
President Peron, who received a noisy welcome from her supporters as she arrived for the meeting at Government House, was said to have tearfully rejected the demands.
Trade union leaders in the Peronist Movement have threatened to organise strikes to put pressure on the President to stop down.
Meanwhile, congressmen have held talks on a proposal to declare Senora Poron unfit to rule because of her inability to end political and economic chaos. The armed forces are reportedly upset with the continuing "political bickering", and some politicians have warned of a possible army coup in Argentina.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None