GREECE: WIFE OF FORMER PRESIDENT, GEORGE PAPADOPOULOS, STANDS TRIAL ON CHARGES OF FRAUD AGAINST THE STATE.Record ID: 191390
- Title: GREECE: WIFE OF FORMER PRESIDENT, GEORGE PAPADOPOULOS, STANDS TRIAL ON CHARGES OF FRAUD AGAINST THE STATE.
- Date: 26th June 1976
- Summary: 1. GV EXTERIOR Courthouse 0.05 2. SV INTERIOR Judges take seats 0.10 3. SV Mrs. Papadopoulos and brother seated in court 0.24 4. CU Mrs. Papadopoulos 0.30 5. SV PAN FROM Judges TO Counsel, reading charges 0.38 6. CU Mrs. Papadopoulos listening 0.43 7. SV & GV Judges and courtroom (2 shots) 0.54 About 100 people, former officials of the junta and friends of Mrs. Papadopoulos were also in court. Some told reporters that they came to show solidarity for the former first lady of Greece. Initials CL/1834 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 11th July 1976 13:00
- Location: ATHENS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Reuters ID: LVA9T009W2H58EOJ9E0TI2WVMIZL
- Story Text: Mrs. Despina Papadopoulos, the wife of the former Greek dictator, George Papadopoulos, went on trial in Athens on Friday (26 June) charged with fraud against the State.
SYNOPSIS: The trial is being held amid tight security inside the Korydallos Prison, to prevent demonstrations against the former president's wife. Her husband is also detained at the prison.
Mrs. Papadopoulos is accused of receiving payments totalling about 12,000 pounds sterling (24,000 U.S. dollars) from the Greek Central Intelligence Service, the KYP, between 1967 and 1973, without rendering any services to the organisation. Her husband seized power in April 1967, and was toppled by another coup in November 1973.
Mr. Papadopoulos was sentenced to death for staging the 1967 coup, but the Government has moved to have this commuted to life imprisonment. Also in court with Mrs. Papadopoulos on Friday were three officials of the KYP and Prime Minister's office during the rule of the junta. They were accused with issuing false certificates which enabled her to receive the payments.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None