- Title: YEMEN: Yemeni's first fashion show presents traditional designs
- Date: 2nd August 2007
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) AMAL AL-SHIBA, HEAD OF OLD SANAA CENTRE FOR FASHION, SAYING: ''Of course, the most important message that we want to express through this fashion show is to (say to people) that these are our traditions and customs. We do not want to forget such traditions. This is our origin, we wear our traditional Yemeni clothes and jewellery."
- Embargoed: 17th August 2007 13:00
- Location: Yemen
- Country: Yemen
- Topics: Fashion
- Reuters ID: LVACNPW48WBKX0IAY9DNGG5HJQJK
- Story Text: The first Yemeni fashion show took place in the country's capital Sanaa on Tuesday (July 31) displaying different traditional dresses, with 15 models showing off various designs and fabrics.
The event was aimed at encouraging the preservation of the country's traditional fashion, organisers said.
One of the models explained that the designs shown represented a side of the Yemeni culture and folklore which is often unseen.
''I am happy because this is the first (event) of its kind, the first (show) that we the girls did", said Buhaira Abdullah.
The organisers focussed on showing the individualism of traditional Yemeni women's fashion and its ability to balance and integrate modernity with tradition.
''Of course, the most important message that we want to express through this fashion show is to (say to people) that these are our traditions and customs. We do not want to forget such traditions. This is our origin, we wear our traditional Yemeni clothes and jewellery," said Amal al-Shiba, who heads of old Sanaa centre for fashion.
Yemeni fashion is facing heavy competition from imported designs and fashion, but according to the organisers an increasing number of Yemenis have started to favour their own traditional fashion over others.
The fashion show comes as part of the "Sanaa' Tourist Summer Festival 2007," which includes a number of different cultural activities.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None