- Title: NIGERIA: SECOND GROUP OF WAR PRISONERS ARRIVE IN LAGOS.
- Date: 6th August 1967
- Summary: Nigerian Navy headquarters; military activity at Navy headquarters; ship berthing and prisoners disembarking. Initials DHC/VS/CR/EEH Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 21st August 1967 13:00
- Location: Lagos, Nigeria
- Country: Nigeria
- Reuters ID: LVA6HPB22C33NKY072L4333YPJ3I
- Story Text: A second group of prisoners captured in Biafra, the breakaway eastern region of Nigeria, have been brought back to Lagos, the Federal capital. The Biafran prisoners -- 13 of them were brought to Lagos on Friday by the Nigerian Navy.
Friday's shipment of prisoners brought the total of Biafrans returned to Lagos to about 100. The first group arrived in the federal capital on July 31.
Only prisoners captured by the Nigerian Navy are being brought back to Lagos, since the navy has no base in the battle front yet. Prisoners captured by the Army, according to Federal sources, are being kept at Markudi and Lokoja. The army is reported to have about 2,000 prisoners.
Federal authorities claim that the Nigerian Navy is also making new inroads into Biafran territory. The oil terminal city of Bonny was taken more than a week ago.
Today (Sunday) Radio Biafra claimed that Britain has been providing funds to equip the Nigerian Air force. A spokesman for the British High Commission in Lagos described the Biafran claim as "completely without foundation".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None