- Title: UK: EDWARD G, ROBINSON'S ART COLLECTION TO BE SOLD.
- Date: 29th June 1973
- Summary: 1. SV PAN DOWN Sothebys 0.08 2. GV INT. People look at exhibits 0.16 3. CU Exhibit No.9 "Jack & Jill" (Sickert) (3 shots) 0.35 4. SCU Collector 0.40 5. SV & CU Exhibit 24 "Le Mort" (Picasso) 0.50 6. CU Buyers with catalogue 0.54 7. SV, CU Exhibit 22 "Paysage d'Hiver a Vetheuil" (Monet) (2 shots) 1.14 8. SV, CU Exhibit 10 "Still Life with Fruit" (Pierre Bonnard) (2 shots) 1.26 9. CU ZOOM OUT Exhibit No. 5 "Paris Sous la Neige" (Pierre Bonnard) 1.39 Initials SGM/1715 SGM/1651 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 14th July 1973 13:00
- Location: Sotheby's London, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVA846UCI2ZTU55C9RT6VN63YEVO
- Story Text: Sotheby's, the famous London gallery, is about to stage its largest-ever sale of Impressionist and Modern paintings. Among those offered on the first day of the sale (Tuesday July 3) will be 26 paintings and sculptures from the state of the late Edward G. Robinson, the Hollywood actor, who died in January of this year. Among his pictures is "Le Mort" ("Death") by Picasso, painted in 1901 on the death of his friend, the post Casamegas; Monet's "Paysage d'Hiver Â… VÂ‚theuil" (Winter landscape at VÂ‚theuil), two works by Pierre Bonnard, "Nature Mort aux Fruits 1907"- (Still Life with Fruit) and "Paris sous la Neige" (Snowbound Square, Paris). painted around 1907.
A particularly interesting picture form the Robinson collection is Sickert's "Jack and Jill", painted about 1936 - 1938. It shows Edward G. Robinson with the actress Joan Blondell in the film "Bullets and Ballots".
Other works featured in the two day sale include paintings by Van Gogh, Renoir, Pissarro, Sisley Courbet and Henri 'Douanier' Rousseau.
SYNOPSIS: The famous London gallery, Sotheby's, is getting ready to stage its biggest ever sale of Impressionist and modern paintings.
The two day sale opens on Tuesday, and includes 26 paintings and sculptures from the estate of the late Edward G. Robinson, the Hollywood film start who died in January, Walter Sickert's painting "Jack and Jill" shows Robinson and the actress Joan Blondell as they appeared in "Bullets and Ballots" in 1936. Robinson discovered the painting in a London gallery shortly after the Second World War.
One picture expected to fetch a particularly good price is "Le Mort" - "Death", painted by Pissarro in 1907 following the suicide of his friend, the poet Casamegas.
Top dealers and galleries are expected to be well represented, when the sale opens.
Among Robinson's Impressionist works is Claude Monet's "Paysage d'Hiver a VÂ‚theuil' (Winter Landscape at VÂ‚theuil) Monet painted it in the village of VÂ‚theuil, north west of Paris.
Other Impressionists are well represented : this is Pierre Bonnard's "Nature Mort aux Fruits" ("Still Life with Fruit") painted in 1897. Another Bonnard work is "Paris sous la Neige", showing a Paris square after a fall of snow. The two day sale is expected to fetch record prices.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None