- Title: SWEDEN: POLICE THWART DEMONSTRATION ATTEMPT A STOCKHOLM ENVIRONMENT CONFERENCE.
- Date: 5th June 1972
- Summary: 1. GV & GV PAN Demonstrators gathered (2 shots) 0.16 2. MV Demonstrators With banners and flags 0.18 3. MV & CU Demonstrators with banners, flags going up steps (3 shots) 0.32 4. CU ZOOM OUT Demonstrators passing police cordon and by river (2 shots) 0.40 5. MV Demonstrators on bicycles being stopped and put into police care (2 shots) 0.58 6. SCU Mounted police arrive 1.02 7. MV ZOOM OUT Police dog and police cordon confronting demonstrators 1.07 8. MV & GV Demonstrators confront police (3 shots) 1.17 Initials BB/1214 JH/PN/BB/1236 This film has natural sound throughout. Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 20th June 1972 13:00
- Location: STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
- Country: Sweden
- Reuters ID: LVA921NXMBXJY0JX77WSQ710X5Q0
- Story Text: Police in Stockholm headed off an attempt on Sunday (4 June) by 300 anarchists to march on the conference hall where the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment is due to open on Monday (5 June).
Pretesting that the conference is a smokescreen for the real political issues dividing the rich and poor nations, the demonstrators were stopped by a line of police which formed just as they arrived at a bridge leading to the building. The demonstrators had almost taken the large security force by surprise with a swift march from their rallying point in front of Parliament.
When police moved up, the anarchists broke away and rushed to another bridge leading to the back of the conference hall, but they were blocked by another force from among the 2,000 police on duty in the Swedish capital for the conference. Mounted police took part in the operation.
Although a number of demonstrators were detained by police, there were no reports of any arrests, and there were no injuries.
Stockholm's police have been training for three weeks to deal with the anticipated several thousand demonstrators expected in the city from abroad. More than 150 "spy cameras" have been set up and most police patrolling the streets have been issued with walkie-talkie sets.
Over 100 nations are represented at the 12-day conference by 1,200 delegates.
SYNOPSIS: Some 300 anarchists attempted to stage a demonstration on Sunday at the Stockholm hall where the United Nations Conference on the human Environment is to meet on Monday.
The demonstrators had banners.
They were pretesting that the conference is a smokescreen for the real political issues dividing the rich and peer nations.
But they were stopped by a line of police which formed just as they arrived at a bridge leading to the building.
Stockholm's police have been training for three weeks to deal with the several thousand demonstrators expected to come from abroad. More than 150 of what were described as "spy cameras" have been set up and most of the 2,000 men on duty in Stockholm have been issued with walkie-talkie sats.
The anarchists tried to reach the conference hall from another direction, but were stopped by a second police line. Although same people were detained, there were no reports of any arrests and there were no injuries.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None